Re: Calendar question [Was: undermining our metropolitan & hierarchs]

    Message 1 of 5 , May 27, 2004
      --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "Fr. Alexis Duncan"
      <7848@a...> wrote:

      > You know, the Synod of Milan has a
      > theological academy, several cathedrals and many, many
      > "parishes". So, you see, things haven't changed so much have
      > they?

      JRS: The Synod of Milan is not part of ROCOR. And for that matter,
      the Milan Synod is actually an old-calendar, not a new-calendar,
      jurisdiction. So I don't see your point.

      The issue is that ROCOR, in the past, prior to the Panteleimonite
      period with its radicalization, did permit the new calendar.

      Not only that, but ROCOR permitted the new calendar before the
      Metropolia (OCA) did. In 1953, when ROCOR took in the Romanian
      diocese with the new calendar, the Metropolia had only the Julian
      calendar. It was not until 1958 or 1959 that the Metropolia also took
      in a Romanian diocese under Valerian Trifa, and the decision made by
      ROCOR several years before was known to them.