Re: MP as stalin's creation

  • vkozyreff
    Message 1 of 19 , May 1, 2004
      Dear Father Raphael, bless.

      You write: " I believe that what our church has rightly called sin
      is falsely called by some heresy".

      Kindly let me disagree with you. I do not think that there are big
      heresies and small heresies. I do not believe that small heresies
      are not big enough to qualify for the title. I do not think that
      that they should be tolerated or that accepting them will contribute
      to the Church's unity.

      To be a heretic, it is enough to follow one's own choice or opinion
      instead of divine truth preserved by the Church, so as to cause
      division among Christians. A heresy needs not be a major heresy to
      be a heresy. Heresy is a system of thought which contradicts true
      doctrine(see Message 6300).

      "Heresies will spread everywhere and deceive many. The enemy of the
      human kind will act skilfully, if possible, leading the chosen ones
      to heresy. He will not begin by discarding the dogmas on the Holy
      Trinity, divinity of Jesus Christ, on Theotokos, but will
      unnoticeably start to distort the Teachings of the Holy Fathers from
      the Holy Spirit - the Church teaching itself (St. Anatoly of Optina).

      You say that refraining from calling heresies sergianism and
      ecumenism will save the Church's unity. This is contrary to all that
      the Church has been teaching about compromising in matters of faith.

      I suggest to the contrary that you are close to St Anatoly's
      prediction about the subtle and progressive adulteration of the
      faith by which the Devil infiltrates the Church: "They will lull
      their conscience saying: we will save the monastery, and the Lord
      will forgive us. Unfortunate and blinded, they are not even thinking
      that through heresies and heretics, the devil will enter the
      monastery, and than it will no longer be a holy monastery, but bare
      walls from which Grace will depart from forever".

      You write: "Inevitably it will lead to a 'church' of the pure who
      will then begin to mutually reject each other as heretics also. This
      we already see happening; 'by their fruits judge.' The choice it
      seems is between two visions of what the Church really is".

      The first fruits that ROCOR(L) has borne is a schism, consequent to
      an unprecedented mass exclusion of a whole part of ROCOR, including
      clerics that humbly requested to be judged by the Synod. The
      compromising ones expelled and divided.

      In God,

      Vladimir Kozyreff

      --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "frraphver" <frraphver@s...>
      wrote:
      > --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "vkozyreff"
      > <vladimir.kozyreff@s...> wrote:
      > > Dear Father Raphael, bless.
      > >
      > > Thank you for your kind attention and your good words.
      > >
      > > You write: "If as is being said the MP is 'schismatic &
      > heretical'…
      > > Literally this is a dead end.
      > >
      > > The truth of the matter is that the MP is schismatic and
      heretical
      > by
      > > nature and by origin. The question is not to know whether the MP
      > has
      > > committed sins (we all do), but to know that sergianism and
      > ecumenism
      > > are the MP's essence. The MP denies that they are sins and
      teaches
      > > that sergianism was a bold step to take. All of us are sinners,
      > > including lay people, priests and hierarchs, but Christians
      > confess
      > > to be sinners. Teaching that sergianism is not a sin cannot be
      the
      > > Church's teaching. It is the teaching of the devil. It is
      > apostasy,
      > > and we must flee it.
      > >
      > > You write: "heresy is a specific type of sin, a conscious
      espousal
      > of
      > > false teachings that directly deny the Faith"
      > >
      > > Claiming that collaborating with the Evil one to save the Church
      > was
      > > a bold step is directly denying the real nature of the Church.
      The
      > > Church is not to be saved by collaboration with the Gates of
      Hell.
      > > Claiming the opposite is heretical.
      > >
      > > You write: "In any case it is the Church which discerns all of
      > this
      > > through the guidance of the Holy Spirit and then applies this in
      > > specific cases & situations".
      > >
      > > Our Church has already made it clear that sergianism and
      ecumenism
      > > are heretical. The new path in the ROCOR has been questioning
      this
      > > and has prompted the schism. That is why many question that the
      > ROCOR
      > > (L) is faithful.
      > >
      > > You write: "as the Body of Christ She has that complete freedom
      > > apply these terms in the way She sees fit & proper; this is
      vital
      > &
      > > intrinsic to the Church's continuing ability to use discernment
      > and
      > > love in all things".
      > >
      > > The schism within ROCOR has forced us to make a choice as to
      where
      > > the true Church is, as metropolitans have been contradicting one
      > > another on this matter.
      > >
      > > You write: "If those within the MP such as Fr Tarasius Gorlatov
      > are
      > > not only not saints but not even Orthodox".
      > >
      > > If Fr Tarasius Gorlatov was in communion with a (false) bishop
      who
      > > holds that an alliance with the Evil one was a bold step to take
      > and
      > > that ecumenism is orthodox, then Fr Tarasius Gorlatov was not
      > > orthodox. I suppose that he did not share this false view with
      any
      > > false bishop, so maybe he was not part of the MP after all.
      > >
      > > He would not be orthodox, if he shared the MP's view on
      > sergianism,
      > > or if he was part of the Latino-catholic "church" or of the
      > > Lutheran "church". Mother Theresa was not orthodox, however
      > admirable
      > > she may have been.
      > >
      > > Whatever the sanctity of Fr Gorlatov, the Church cannot teach
      that
      > > sergianism was right. Any institution that does cannot be the
      > Church.
      > > The ROCOR's call is to make this clear in an uncompromising way.
      > >
      > > Luke 18:8 "However, when the Son of Man comes, will he find
> [...]
      But
      > > for
      > year
      > in
      > > > the
      > Thanking
      > > > me
      > > > cemetary
      > face
      > where
      > > he
      > that
      > > > the
      > Rather
      > > it
      > > slave
      > New
      > > > quiet
      > > Again
      > triumphant
      > a 'church'
      > > > is
      > am)
      > > > that
      > Imagine
      > > if
      Metropolitan)
      > was
      But
      > > > God's
      > > > Church
      > > >
      > > > Dear Vladimir,
      > > > If as is being said the MP is 'schismatic & heretical' due to
      > > > ecumenism and sergianism the path ahead is quite clear. Since
      > all
      > > of
      > > > us have commited the sin of compromise with this world and
      many
      > of
      > > > us either make false excuses for this or do not recognise this
      > sin
      > > > in ourselves- then none of us can be in this 'church'.
      Literally
      > > > this is a dead end.
      > > > If however it is the Church of Christ that we desire we must
      > > witness
      > > > about the sins of our Times in a humble way that admits that
      we
      > > also
      > > > share in them. Sin is not equivalent to heresy; heresy is a
      > > specific
      > > > type of sin, a conscious espousal of false teachings that
      > directly
      > > > deny the Faith. In any case it is the Church which discerns
      all
      > of
      > > > this through the guidance of the Holy Spirit and then applies
      > this
      > > > in specific cases & situations.
      > > > I think that you have unintentionally reversed this whole way
      by
      > > > which the Church lives; as if She (and us) are bound by terms
      > such
      > > > as 'ecumenism' and 'sergianism'. These things came from Her as
      > She
      > > > discerned how to navigate the waters of these stormy times;
      and
      > as
      > > > the Body of Christ She has that complete freedom to apply
      these
      > > > terms in the way She sees fit & proper; this is vital &
      > intrinsic
      > > > the Church's continuing ability to use discernment and love in
      > all
      > > > things. This does not cut the Church off from the integrity of
      > the
      > > > Faith, rather it confirms it since the purpose of the Faith is
      > the
      > > > salvation of humanity.
      > > > Again it is simple. If those within the MP such as Fr Tarasius
      > > > Gorlatov are not only not saints but not even Orthodox; well
      > then
      > > we
      > > > are truly deceived. Any holiness we saw there was false: 'the
      > fact
      > > > that a good person belongs to ...does not make it the true
      > church.'
      > > > If on the contrary however the holiness of a priest-martyr
      such
      > as
      > > > Fr Tarasius (along with so many others) points to the grace &
      > > > Orthodoxy of the larger Church he was part of then the whole
      > > > equation is turned on its head.
      > > > In the end it is up to each of us how we will discern. Whether
      > > words
      > > > such as 'sergianism' are chains that enslave & bind all
      despite
      > > > their own holiness; or whether the grace of God within His
      Holy
      > > > Church is greater than the sins past or present within it.
      > > > In the Risen Christ- Fr Raphael Vereshack
      >
      > Dear Vladimir,
      > I believe that what our church has rightly called sin is falsely
      > called by some heresy. This misuse of the term heresy comes from a
      > lack of discernment not in accord with the Holy Fathers.
      Inevitably
      > it will lead to a 'church' of the pure who will then begin to
      > mutually reject each other as heretics also. This we already see
      > happening; 'by their fruits judge.' The choice it seems is between
      > two visions of what the Church really is.
      > In the Risen Christ- Fr Raphael
    • frraphver
      Message 2 of 19 , May 1, 2004
        Dear Vladimir,
        "To be a heretic, it is enough to follow one's own choice or opinion
        instead of divine truth preserved by the church, so as to cause
        division among Christians." My point is exactly illustrated by this
        statement. If one was to follow what is said here then everyone of
        us is a heretic at every moment. Then following the logic
        of 'defending the faith against all heresy big & small' one ends up
        with a so-called church of one supposedly 'pure' person.
        I think that it should be evident that such a view is not a defence
        of the Faith but rather its destruction. As the words of St Anatoly
        of Optina which you quote say, "will unnoticeably start to distort
        the teachings of the Holy Fathers from the Holy Spirit- the Church
        teaching itself."
        In Christ- Fr Raphael