St. Job of Pochaev printshop (was ROCOR English Website )

  • frvboldewskul@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , May 1 6:08 AM
      vrevjrs@... writes:

      > JRS: When I entered the seminary in 1968, Fr. Ignaty said at the
      > time, "This printery could carry on its work 24 hours a day" -- but it
      > never did. They say the printery has never been used at more than 10%
      > of its capacity.
      >
      > Perhaps that's in line with the fact that most people still put only a
      > dollar in the collection plate -- when they could afford $10, $20
      > (especially those who don't come every Sunday!) -- without even
      > noticing the difference to their finances.
      >
      > It's both inspiring and depressing to think of what we COULD do...

      The Royal Zenieth press which Vladyka Laurus bought with Basil (Bobby)
      Anderson in 1981 lasted until this past year. I think all would be amazed what was
      produced on that press in her 23 year history. It is true that in the late
      1960s and 1970s, there was a decline, related more, I think, to the fact that Fr.
      Anthony and Fr. Serge were getting older. The printshop really picked up in
      1983 when Nicholas Rotenko enrolled in Seminary from Australia. Also, when a new
      press was bought in 1981 (the second offset), the Icon of St. Job of Pochaev
      was transferred to the printshop. It is my view that with that (the transfer
      of the icon), a miracle took place, and the list of books and articles printed
      from that time until the active publishing in Russian in the early 1990s is
      most impressive.

      During the first few years of the Rebirth of Orthodoxy in Russia, it was the
      books from Jordanville that were reprinted. The 1987 edition of God's Law
      (which had a run of 4,000 copies) was rephotographed and reprinted in Russia over
      and over again, well over several million copies from that edition.

      That in the 1980s and 1990s produced several million copies of color icon
      prints. In one run alone, 100,000 copies of the New Martyrs and the Royal Martyrs
      were reprinted in 1990.

      A list of all printed works from Jordanville (including Fr. Pantalemon's
      publishing) was be most impressive. I suppose over one thousand titles. The amount
      of paper used would fill Ohio football stadium (aka the Shoe), or close to
      it.

      Priest Victor Boldewskul

    • sputnikpsalomschchika
      Message 2 of 2 , May 1 12:44 PM
        --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, frvboldewskul@a... wrote:...> A
        list of all printed works from Jordanville (including Fr. Pantalemon's
        publishing) was be most impressive. I suppose over one thousand
        titles. The amount
        > of paper used would fill Ohio football stadium (aka the Shoe), or
        close to it.

        > Priest Victor Boldewskul

        That's a LOT of paper! I know, I live and work far too near the O.S.U.
        football cathedral for comfort.

        Father Victor is to commended for his scholarship and for bringing to
        everyone's attention all the very good work done at Jordanville's St.
        Job of Pochaev Press. All the more reason to encourage some sort of
        drive to continue this great work!

        Reader Michael Malloy - OCA, but friend of the Synod and great admirer
        of Holy Trinity Monastery and the miricale taht occur there daily.