New Trend in Books for Children?

  • Fr. Alexander Lebedeff
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 30 7:15 AM
      Dear Listmembers, especially those who are parents of small children,

      I ran across an article on CNN about the latest trend in children's books,
      a trend I admit I have never before knew existed (my "kids" are 32 and 34,
      so perhaps I can be forgiven).

      You can see it at:

      http://www.cnn.com/2004/SHOWBIZ/books/04/29/poop.fiction.ap/index.html

      I must say that I am appalled.

      As a priest and director of a parochial school with 150 children, I cannot
      ignore popular trends that so clearly adversely affect "the little ones."

      If anyone wants to know how low society has sunk, just read the above article.

      What is even more appalling is that several of theses books for children
      are published by Scholastic, Inc.--a reputable publisher of materials for
      children.

      I would like to solicit comments from parents, educators, and others who
      are concerned for the spiritual development of children.

      Is there anything that can be done?

      Why isn't the whole country outraged?

      Where is the American Family Association?

      Where is Focus on the Family?

      Still amazed and appalled,

      With love in Christ,

      Prot. Alexander Lebedeff

    • cdw
      Message 2 of 3 , May 1, 2004
        I came,
        I saw,
        I left in disgust.

        If we start making body functions a part of everyday
        conversation.....wait a minute....we have.

        I recall being invited by my mother into the kitchen
        where I was given a taste my grandmothers lye soap
        just because I used three holy names out of context.
        If I had used words such as found in that article it
        would have resulted in the same action.

        We are supposed to be apart from the world not part of
        it. Our conversation is supposed to be holy. For out
        of what well do we draw sweet and bitter water? I'm
        sorry but I can't support such kindergarden
        vocabulary. On second thought, I'm not sorry.

        J´┐Żan-Claude

      • Theodora Wright
        Message 3 of 3 , May 1, 2004
          I'm
          > sorry but I can't support such kindergarden
          > vocabulary. On second thought, I'm not sorry.

          Well I think most people must feel that way about the "Captain"books because
          they are not in the book stroe here but my husband says they are in the
          check out lanes at the grocery store, you know, beside the rag
          newpapers...:-)))) that should tell one something. That's why I have never
          seen them as I don't look at those when checking out. I go to book stores
          and even there one must be very careful...though at the one I go to most the
          sales people actually read the books they sale and can tell you about them!
          I find that these people are quiet good in their reports on what is in the
          books and their recommendations have all been very good which make shopping
          there a delight. And old time book store.

          Theodora in The Mountains