Re: [orthodox-synod] Re: Spiritual Testament of St. Seraphim of Vyritsa (corrected text)

  • michael nikitin
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 29, 2004
      Fr.Sergei fails to mention the MP being in schism.

      The MP is in schism from the historic Russian Church
      and ROCOR as written in St.Metr.Philaret's Epistles below.

      Schismatics must ask to be admitted into the True Church.
      What are our bishops doing going to the schismatic MP, but not
      ROCOR(V) or ROAC for dialogue? Is this our new policy?

      Only if we are not the True Church would it not be necessary for
      schismatics like the MP to ask forgiveness and admittance.

      On the other hand, if our bishops believed we are the schismatics or
      a sect as Metr.Agafangel stated, then it would be understandable
      that they ask forgiveness and kiss the hand of the Patriarch of our
      Mother Church the MP.

      Michael N

      EPISTLE OF METROPOLITAN PHILARET (1965)

      http://www.russianorthodoxchurch.ws/english/pages/heritage/philaret1965.html

      "The courageous majority of the sons of the Russian Church did not
      accept
      the declaration of Metr. Sergy, considering that a union of the Church
      with
      the godless Soviet State, which had set itself the goal of annihilating
      Christianity in general, could not exist on principle.

      But a schism nonetheless occurred. The minority, accepting the
      declaration,
      formed a central administration, the so-called "Moscow Patriarchate,"
      which,
      while being supposedly officially recognized by the authorities, in
      actual
      fact received no legal rights whatever from them; for they continued,
      now
      without hindrance, a most cruel persecution of the Church. In the words
      of
      Joseph, Metropolitan of Petrograd, Metr. Sergy, having proclaimed the
      declaration, entered upon the path of "monstrous arbitrariness,
      flattery,
      and betrayal of the Church to the interests of atheism and the
      destruction
      of the Church."

      The majority, renouncing the declaration, began an illegal
      ecclesiastical
      existence. Almost all the bishops were tortured and killed in death
      camps,
      among them the locum tenens Metr. Peter, Metr. Cyril of Kazan, who was
      respected by all, and Metr. Joseph of Petrograd, who was shot to death
      at
      the end of 1938, as well as many other bishops and thousands of
      priests,
      monks, nuns, and courageous laymen. Those bishops and clergy who
      miraculously remained alive began to live illegally and to serve Divine
      services secretly, hiding themselves from the authorities and
      originating in
      this fashion the ../resistance/cat_1974.htmCatacomb Church in the
      Soviet
      Union."