Re: [orthodox-synod] LET HOLY RUS' ARISE and the original message of ROCOR

  • Rev. Sergei Overt
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 27, 2004
      Christ Is Risen!
      This Epistle of Metropolitan Anastasy proves the
      point I keep making about why ROCOR was established
      and why it is supposed to exist.
      The ROCOR was always predominantly interested
      in fighting the great evil of Bolshevism and the communists.
      The Russian emigration believed that the greatest threat,
      the greatest evil that there ever was on planet earth
      was Communism. Not Ecumenism, not modernism,
      not any other political system or religious philosophy.
      Some Russian emigrants were perfectly comfortable
      with Ecumenism in their personal lives and assimilation
      with non-Orthodox as long as the fight against communism
      and the mistrust of anything Soviet continued.
      This is what kept ROCOR and the Russian emigrants united.
      Even though the children and grandchildren were marrying
      Protestants and Catholics. These zealous anti-communists
      never thought that it was important to convert their new
      relatives to the truth of Orthodox Christianity.
      Many thought all Christian religions were just fine,
      after all, Communists rejected all religion and faith in
      God. All good people were people who belived
      in "a God". It did not matter if they were Protestant,
      Catholic or anything else and as long as they
      sympathized with their anti-communism.
      This was particularly apparent during the 1950's
      and 1960's when most of the ROCOR Russian parishes
      in North America were established.
      The only conclusion that can be made is that
      ROCOR existed because of the threat of Communism
      to the Russian Orthodox Church. This was the most
      tyrannical and ruthless persecution of the Orthodox Church
      history had seen in a long time, and ROCOR was the part of that
      persecuted church that escaped to tell the rest of the
      non-Orthodox world the truth about
      Communism. This is the original message of ROCOR.
      Fr. S.