Re: [orthodox-synod] Congratulations to Putin

  • VJB
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 1 9:18 PM
      Dear Fr. Deacon,

      I should have probably simply ignored this, but I find this post very disturbing. I lived in Russia in the 80's and early 90's, and I know that the entire nation (including Mr. Putin) went through rethinking its past and condemned the Soviet regime with all the atrocities. One must be blind not to see that. The most vivid proof of this is the fact that the USSR has collapsed and the KPSS was banned as a political organization (do not confuse with KPRF and other similar contemporary political groups).

      I read this post as a sign of disrespect for the Russian people and their choice coming from an confused person living in Australia. Not to mention the disrespect to the First Hierarch of a part of the Russian Church. What you (and some others) seem to miss here, Fr. Deacon, is the fact that Mr. Putin was elected by the Russian people and has the right to represent the people (many of whom are Orthodox) and the country to which many of us (in the Church Abroad) are related in one way or another.

      Sincerely,

      V. Boitchenko (Albany, New York)
      Message 2 of 12 , May 1, 2004
        Not that it matters much, but I've seen an old photo album produced
        to commemorate some past anniversary of Met. Laurus (it must have
        been his 20 years as bishop, I forgot - I have that book at home).
        There were many congratulatory notes there, including one from the
        White House (pres. Reagan), the Governor of NY and many others. I
        would think that it is quite natural and within the "protocol" for a
        Church leader to congratulate the president and to be congratulated,
        although these congratulations rarely gain as much publicity as the
        one to Putin.