Peter Ustinov

  • tvrfcc
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 1, 2004
      I have been told that Peter Ustinov is related to the retired
      Metropolitan. Any truth to that? Thanks.

      Igumen Christopher
      NYC

      Sir Peter Ustinov
      1921-2004
    • William Zurmuehl
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 2, 2004
        I heard that through the grapevine myself a time or two

        Subdeacon Joseph Zurmuehl
        Joy of all Who Sorrow Orthodox Church
        Russian Orthodox Church Abroad

        >From: "tvrfcc" <ccalin@...>
        >To: orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: [orthodox-synod] Peter Ustinov
        >Date: Fri, 02 Apr 2004 05:52:04 -0000
        >
        >I have been told that Peter Ustinov is related to the retired
        >Metropolitan. Any truth to that? Thanks.
        >
        >Igumen Christopher
        >NYC
        >
        >Sir Peter Ustinov
        >1921-2004

        Get rid of annoying pop-up ads with the new MSN Toolbar � FREE!
      • michael nikitin
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 2, 2004
          Yes, I believe Peter Ustinov is Metr.Vitaly's half-brother.

          Metr.Vitaly is head of ROCOR(V) or ROCIE.

          www.russianorthodoxchurchinexile.com

          Michael N

          tvrfcc <ccalin@...> wrote:
          I have been told that Peter Ustinov is related to the retired
          Metropolitan. Any truth to that? Thanks.

          Igumen Christopher
          NYC

          Sir Peter Ustinov
          1921-2004

          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        • Reader Timothy Tadros
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 2, 2004
            Yes, distant cousins. Don't believe he was a practicing Orthodox
            Christian

            --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "tvrfcc" <ccalin@n...> wrote:
            > I have been told that Peter Ustinov is related to the retired
            > Metropolitan. Any truth to that? Thanks.
            >
            > Igumen Christopher
            > NYC
            >
            > Sir Peter Ustinov
            > 1921-2004
          • Fr. Basil Grisel
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 2, 2004
              It was posted earlier, Metropolitan Vitaly and Peter Usitnov are not related at all.
              I heard that through the grapevine myself a time or two

              Subdeacon Joseph Zurmuehl
              Joy of all Who Sorrow Orthodox Church
              Russian Orthodox Church Abroad

              >From: "tvrfcc" <ccalin@...<mailto:ccalin@...>>
              >To: orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com<mailto:orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com>
              >Subject: [orthodox-synod] Peter Ustinov
              >Date: Fri, 02 Apr 2004 05:52:04 -0000
              >
              >I have been told that Peter Ustinov is related to the retired
              >Metropolitan. Any truth to that? Thanks.
              >
              >Igumen Christopher
              >NYC
              >
              >Sir Peter Ustinov
              >1921-2004

              Get rid of annoying pop-up ads with the new MSN Toolbar - FREE!
              http://toolbar.msn.com/go/onm00200414ave/direct/01/<http://toolbar.msn.com/go/onm00200414ave/direct/01/>

              Archives located at http://www.egroups.com/group/orthodox-synod<http://www.egroups.com/group/orthodox-synod>

              Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Elias Gorsky
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 3, 2004
                Even though Father Alexei Duncan remembers Vladika Vitaly saying it was just
                a rumor, I remember the opposite, that Metropolitan Vitaly said that he WAS
                related to him, a distant cousin. But since I am older, my memory is
                probably suspect, so I checked with my matushka and she remembers the same
                (but she's getting on in years, too; and now she is a grandmother, to boot,
                so go figure).

                Now we will hear more memoirs on this important subject ... [;-))>>

                Greetings to everyone on the conclusion of the Holy Quadecimacy. (can
                someone suggest a better translation of "Chetyredesyatnitsa"?)

                With love in Christ,
                p.Ilya

                > It was posted earlier, Metropolitan Vitaly and Peter Usitnov are not
                related at all.

                JRS: They were certainly *related* -- the question is merely how close
                the relationship was!

                CoreComm Webmail.
                http://home.core.com

                ----------

                Regarding:

              • antiquariu@aol.com
                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 3, 2004
                  In a message dated 4/3/2004 11:39:09 AM Eastern Standard Time,
                  elias.gorsky@... writes:
                  Even though Father Alexei Duncan remembers Vladika Vitaly saying it was just
                  a rumor, I remember the opposite, that Metropolitan Vitaly said that he WAS
                  related to him, a distant cousin.
                  Batushki and others, bless!

                  I'm always amused by the need of the diaspora Orthodox to get in with the "me
                  too" validations, so as to show that we Orthodox are cool, too. Sir Peter
                  was a marginally practising Lutheran and exile British subject, born in England
                  as the son of a German father of Russian ancestry and a French mother of
                  Russian ancestry. His grandfather had been a Tsarist officer who was exiled for
                  refusing to swear the loyalty oath to the Orthodox Church under Alexander III,
                  who had instituted such a requirement in an effort to Russify the increasingly
                  cosmopolitan (and German/Finnish and French-speaking) elites in the military
                  and nobility after 150 years of relatively secular post-Petrine Russia. He
                  moved to Wuerttemberg with his German wife. Wuerttemberg was a liberal Germanic
                  principality, the princess of which, Olga von Hohenlohe, was a daughter of the
                  Tsar who received many refugees from her autocratic father.

                  The Ustinovs may have been related, but it was extremely distant, and
                  certainly not something that Sir Peter ever made any comments on. He was extremely
                  negative to the ritualism of Orthodoxy as well as other liturgical faiths,
                  refering to it has buffoonery on more than one occasion.

                  And it's not exactly an uncommon name. Metropolitan Vitaly's father served
                  in the Caucasus and the Black Sea Fleet, Sir Peter's grandfather was an army
                  officer.

                  Cheers,

                  Vova Hindrichs

                • Wally Wally

                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 3, 2004
                      Vova Hindrichs wrote:

                      > I'm always amused by the need of the diaspora Orthodox to get in with
                      the "me
                      > too" validations, so as to show that we Orthodox are cool, too.

                      JRS: Nevertheless, we are all related in any case.

                      Those of us who accept the Biblical account of Adam and Eve as literal
                      know this, and there are references to the fact in the Orthodox funeral
                      service.

                      Those, on the other hand, who believe in Darwinism and evolution also
                      have to believe the same thing. For a new species to "evolve", it would
                      ultimately have to go back to one source, one "gene pool", and one
                      parentage.

                      Not everyone who has the same surname is closely related, but we are
                      all related in the long run. And most of those with a relatively
                      uncommon last name, could trace it back to one ancestor.

                      Thus, as George Bernard Shaw once quipped, "The Shaws, like most of the
                      Irish, came from Yorkshire".

                      > Sir Peter
                      > was ... born in England
                      > as the son of a German father of Russian ancestry and a French mother
                      of
                      > Russian ancestry.

                      JRS: In his own words, he was "conceived in St. Petersburg, born in
                      London and baptized in Germany".

                      Vl. Vitaly was both conceived and born in St. Petersburg, about a
                      decade earlier.

                      > His grandfather had been a Tsarist officer who was exiled for
                      > refusing to swear the loyalty oath to the Orthodox Church under
                      Alexander III...

                      JRS: According to Sir Peter, that is not exactly how it was.

                      His grandfather was raised in the Orthodox Church, but apostasized and
                      turned Protestant, which was what led to his punishment by exile.

                      > The Ustinovs may have been related, but it was extremely distant, and
                      > certainly not something that Sir Peter ever made any comments on.

                      JRS: In one of his writings, which I haven't time to look up now, he
                      did mention having a relative who was a Russian Orthodox bishop, and
                      whom he found exasperating.

                      He described a conversation in which the unnamed bishop told him, "We
                      are gaining more converts all the time, mostly at the expense of the
                      Roman Catholics".

                      That remark struck Sir Peter as utterly narrow and fanatical!

                      > He was extremely
                      > negative to the ritualism of Orthodoxy as well as other liturgical
                      faiths,
                      > refering to it has buffoonery on more than one occasion.

                      JRS: Yes, that sounds like him.

                      However, he also had a curious kind of hate/love relationship with the
                      Orthodox Church, perhaps a little along the lines of the late Leo N.
                      Tolstoy's attitude.

                      > And it's not exactly an uncommon name. Metropolitan Vitaly's father
                      served
                      > in the Caucasus and the Black Sea Fleet, Sir Peter's grandfather was
                      an army
                      > officer.

                      JRS: The name is not all that common.

                      It is derived from "Iustin" (Justin), which was transformed
                      into "Ustin" by dropping the initial "I" in the same way as "Iulian"
                      (Julian) became "Ulyan", and gave rise to the surname "Ulyanov".

                    • Fr. Alexis Duncan
                      Message 10 of 12 , Apr 3, 2004
                        You must not be that much older...after all, you came up with
                        "quadecimacy!"

                        Message 11 of 12 , Apr 3, 2004
                          In a message dated 4/3/2004 3:55:39 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                          vrevjrs@... writes:
                          JRS: In his own words, he was "conceived in St. Petersburg, born in
                          London and baptized in Germany".
                          Father bless!

                          I think Sir Peter was using a figure of speech here to laud his Russian
                          roots. In an exhaustive personal interview with Der Spiegel, he provides his
                          genealogy; the Wurttemberg connection is pretty explicit, and he specifically
                          states that the period of exile -- 40 years -- for his grandfather is what soured
                          the family on Imperial Russia.

                          But I do agree with your comment that everyone is related, and that holds
                          true whether you subscribe to Adam and Eve or mitochondrial evidence, and I
                          accept both. My "me too" comment was not directed at you, Father, since you are
                          one of the most reasonable voices in this medium and I respect what you have to
                          say practically all of the time. Rather, it was directed at the rash of
                          commentary that comes up when almost anyone with a Slavic surname pops up in the
                          obits or the People section.

                          Father bless, and best wishes for the impending Resurrection!

                          Vova Hindrichs

                        • Elias Gorsky
                          Message 12 of 12 , Apr 3, 2004
                            It's that dang English language; can't say anything right in it!