Re: [orthodox-synod] Congratulations to Putin

  • frvboldewskul@aol.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 1, 2004
      On other point: The President of Russia attends Orthodox Church services
      more regularly than many of our ROCOR parishioners, not to mention that Putin is
      a baptized Orthodox Christian who leads a county of millions of Orthodox.
      Priest Victor Boldewskul

    • zina kochnaya
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 1, 2004
        Metr. Laurus is an American Citizen, not Russian. In fact he is Ukranian.

        I am surprised at this news and your statement, Fr. Alexander. I don't think
        Metr. Laurus should have sent his congratulations. It is political.

        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 1, 2004
          I was surprised by the prompt and lengthy response generated by my original posting. As all the other members of ROCOR, I am aware that we remain a part of the Russian Church. I am aware that President Putin is Orthodox and attends services (George Bush also attended an Orthodox service at the Kazan Cathedral in St. Petersburg). I am aware that Putin has a personal relationship with Metropolitan Laurus. As far as I'm concerned, the ENTIRE WORLD knows these things to be true; they are obvious to all.

          I, personally, saw the occurrence of our metropolitan personally congratulating the President of Russia to be somewhat humorous and ironic (especially in light of the events of the last 5 years).

          There's no need to feel attacked or prompted to play goal tender. Yeah it is still Great Lent (it's almost over though!), but that doesn't mean we can't still have a sense of humor about things.

          C'mon guys, who honestly DIDN'T smile when they heard the news???

          -Nick Zaharov

        • Fr. Alexander Lebedeff
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 1, 2004
            Zina Kochnaya wrote:

            >Metr. Laurus is an American Citizen, not Russian.

            So what? He is the First Hierarch of a world-wide **Russian** Orthodox
            Church, with parishes and monasteries in over 40 countries.

            The fact that the headquarters of the Church Abroad, at this point, happen
            to be in New York is not relevant. The center of the Church Abroad could
            just as well be in Australia, or somewhere in Europe, for that matter.

            > In fact he is Ukranian.

            He would be most surprised to find out this "fact."

            He, is, in fact, Carpatho-Russian by origin--not Ukrainian.

            >I am surprised at this news and your statement, Fr. Alexander. I don't think
            >Metr. Laurus should have sent his congratulations. It is political.

            It is not political when the leader of the Russian Church (Abroad)
            congratulates the leader of the Russian State. It is common courtesy.

            Was St. Paul's directive to pray for the pagan Roman Emperor political?

            With love in Christ,

            Prot. Alexander Lebedeff

          • byakimov@csc.com.au
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 1, 2004
              I would have congratulated the ex KGB agent Putin if he had set up a TRUTH
              Commission or something
              similar & condemned the Soviet atrocities & the butchers (the macabre
              massacre) committed against the people of Russia & Russia Herself. Instead
              he has spread the ex-KGB tentacles across post soviet Russia & is very
              proud of the soviet times. I guess there are Chekistyi in these confused &
              troubled times who are now considered to be the good guys no matter what
              their past.... indeed we live in strashneyshiya vremena as blessed in
              memory Archbishop Averky would say.... Lord Help us ALL please.

              unworthy protodeacon Basil from Canberra

              zina kochnaya <zikonaya@...> on 02/04/2004 03:58:55 AM

              To: orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com
              cc:
              Subject: Re: [orthodox-synod] Congratulations to Putin

              Nicholas Zaharov wrote:

> [...]

              comment:

              "Here is a document, provocatively (!) posted on the official site of the
              Lavrites, which speaks to the fact that the head of the ROCOR(L) Lavr
              Shkurla, with all his might, is dying to participate in the Patriarchal
              Olympics in Moscow."

              Those who have even the slightest acquaintance with our meek, humble, and
              self-effacing First Hierarch, who would much rather be spending his time
              praying at all the monastic services at Jordanville, and spending time in
              solitude at his little and humble skete there, know how ridiculous this
              accusation is.

              I fear that there are some who think that in order to be "Genuinely
              Orthodox" we must eschew knowledge of expected diplomatic courtesy and
              elementary protocol --that we should be primitive, crude, and rude. (Now,

              Yahoo! Groups Links
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 1, 2004
                Nicholas Zaharov wrote:

                > > >If George W. Bush is re-elected in the near future, I wonder if
                > > >Metropolitan Laurus will also send him a letter of
                congratulations. I'm
                > > >guessing, though, our Church will not need to do this.

                JRS: In 1972, when President Nixon was reelected, Archbishop Nikon
                (Rklitsky) of Washington and Florida, vice-President of the Synod of
                Bishops, wrote him a letter of congratulation.

                As Vl. Nikon's secretary, I prepared that letter for his signature.

                There was a brief, but polite, reply, signed by President Nixon.

              • for4z@aol.com
                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 1, 2004
                  It seems a fundamental goal of Orthodox Christianity is being overlooked in
                  this discussion. Is it not our goal to spread the Word to ALL NATIONS and ALL
                  PEOPLES? What does RUSSIAN in Russian Orthodox Church really mean? I don't
                  think it means the political boundaries of RUSSIA (those have certainly changed
                  over the years since St. Vladimir and, undoudtedly, will change in the
                  future). I don't think it means ethnic Russians (would it not be absurd to ask
                  non-Russian converts to pretend to be ethnically Russian - although readers of
                  this list may have seen such suggestions over the years). Does it not seem
                  appropriate that RUSSIAN in Russian Orthodox Church might best describe the lineage
                  and heritage of our Church, not necessarily its political or ethnic future.
                  It is clear from all the postings over the last few years that some of our
                  leaders are striving for the ethnic and others for the political. I would like
                  to hear from among our leaders who are more committed to ACCEPTING and
                  RESPECTING ALL PEOPLES INTO RUSSIAN ORTHODOXY, REGARDLESS OF THEIR POLITICAL OR ETHNIC
                  BACKGROUND. If we try to limit the Church to RUSSIAN politics, language, and
                  customs, what business does the Church have in the Holy Land or on Mt. Athos?
                  It is clear the Church saw a need and a business to be there and to be in
                  other countries. Did St. Nicholas of Japan force the Japanese converts to speak
                  Russian and accept Russian politics? No, he worked to translate service
                  books into Japanese and ordained Japanese priests. Did St. Patriarch Tikhon try
                  to annex North American lands to Russia because there might have been Russian
                  Orthodox immigrants in North America? No, he was for the Orthodox in America
                  having their own church in America. Do not all our services include prayer for
                  the secular government of the COUNTRY IN WHICH THEY ARE LOCATED? Would not
                  the polite action, therefore, be to congratulate lawful leaders in every
                  country where we have a parish? In addition to political questions, there are many
                  jurisdictional disputes today among the many different "Orthodox" Churches and
                  dialog to lower boundaries, build brotherhood, and seek unity may certainly
                  be a positive step. However, should this be a shield to promote
                  ethno-political agendas? Are we seeking to build Orthodoxy or to promote Russia at the
                  expense of other lands and peoples?

                  Eugene Zaharov

                • VJB
                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 1, 2004
                    Dear Fr. Deacon,

                    I should have probably simply ignored this, but I find this post very disturbing. I lived in Russia in the 80's and early 90's, and I know that the entire nation (including Mr. Putin) went through rethinking its past and condemned the Soviet regime with all the atrocities. One must be blind not to see that. The most vivid proof of this is the fact that the USSR has collapsed and the KPSS was banned as a political organization (do not confuse with KPRF and other similar contemporary political groups).

                    I read this post as a sign of disrespect for the Russian people and their choice coming from an confused person living in Australia. Not to mention the disrespect to the First Hierarch of a part of the Russian Church. What you (and some others) seem to miss here, Fr. Deacon, is the fact that Mr. Putin was elected by the Russian people and has the right to represent the people (many of whom are Orthodox) and the country to which many of us (in the Church Abroad) are related in one way or another.

                    Sincerely,

                    V. Boitchenko (Albany, New York)

                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 2, 2004
                      Obviously Holy Orthodoxy has been attacked by the
                      communist past regimes, yet we have seen God's Grace
                      that the Holy Orthodox Church still remains! Clearly a
                      monarchy rule would be the only government supported
                      by Hoy Scripture yet lets face it we always owe more
                      to God than Caesar, so why be angry & resentful about
                      the past, not that means to forget, let us pray as
                      Archbishop Averky stated.
                      In Christ
                      Xenos Mann

                      === message truncated ===

                    • achumakov2001
                      Message 10 of 12 , May 1, 2004
                        Not that it matters much, but I've seen an old photo album produced
                        to commemorate some past anniversary of Met. Laurus (it must have
                        been his 20 years as bishop, I forgot - I have that book at home).
                        There were many congratulatory notes there, including one from the
                        White House (pres. Reagan), the Governor of NY and many others. I
                        would think that it is quite natural and within the "protocol" for a
                        Church leader to congratulate the president and to be congratulated,
                        although these congratulations rarely gain as much publicity as the
                        one to Putin.