Epistle on "Same-Gender Unions" by the Clergy of the Western American Diocese

  • Fr. Alexander Lebedeff
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 15, 2004
      Epistle of the Pastoral Conference of the Western American Diocese of the
      Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia Regarding "Same-Gender Unions"

      What is most important for us,
      what is most precious,
      what is the greatest?
      It is holiness.
      -- St. John of San Francisco

      It is with profound sorrow and great concern for the future that we, the
      clergy of the Western American Diocese of the Russian Orthodox Church
      Outside Russia, with our Archpastor, the Most Reverend Kyrill, Archbishop
      of San Francisco and Western America, view the flagrant disregard for the
      laws of God and the state with the granting of what are purported to be
      licenses for marriage to persons of the same gender, and the performing of
      ceremonies which claim to establish a union that is marriage for these
      persons. We cannot condone or ignore the defiance of the law in San
      Francisco, or in municipalities in Oregon, Massachusetts, New York, and New
      Mexico; nor remain silent, and thereby give implicit consent to this practice.

      It is the duty of the Church to direct Her children to obedience to the
      laws of the state when these do not conflict with the law of God. When the
      law of the state deviates from the way of righteousness appointed by God,
      the Church must call attention to the dangers such a departure presents. We
      are compelled to address our flocks concerning the nature of Holy
      Matrimony, otherwise known as marriage. "We must obey God rather than men."
      (Acts 5:29)

      Holy Matrimony consists of the union of two persons into one, through the
      union of their souls and bodies, through mutual submission and obedience,
      and, most importantly, through the action of God's grace. It is a holy
      mystery, a sacrament, an avenue of the Grace of God given to us not for the
      indulgence of our passions, but for the working out of our salvation. For
      this reason, it cannot be merely a social or civil contract entered into by
      two persons. Marriage is the God-ordained union of a man and a woman, for
      the purpose of creating a home, a "little Church," in which the couple, and
      the children which are their progeny (being the product of the physical
      affection for one another), are able to work gut their salvation. Marriage
      is a sacrament that is not created by the husband and wife out of their
      love for one another, or by their pledge of loyalty and mutual submission
      to one another; marriage is a mystery bestowed by God through the action of
      the Church upon those who are made one thereby. The estate of marriage
      cannot be established by human action alone: it must be bestowed by God
      alone. Nor can this (or any) grace be bestowed by the state, for it is the
      gift of God given within the confines of, and subject to the discipline of,
      the Holy Mother Church. Although the state chooses to recognize this union
      as beneficial to the stability of society, and so bestows certain benefits
      under law through licensure of this action, marriage is not now, nor has it
      ever been, an action of the state. The sacrament of Marriage is a divine
      action subject only to the grace and will of God, which is expressed in the
      unbroken and pure tradition of the Orthodox Church.

      In addition to the salvation of the souls of the husband and wife and of
      their children, the sacrament of marriage also serves as a guardian and
      standard of moral behavior. Any lustful activity outside of the bounds of
      sacramental marriage is damaging to the soul and creates a barrier between
      man and God. The sacrament defines the limits of physical and emotional
      intimacy between two persons. These limits include (but are not limited to)
      the fact, that marital relations are only possible between a man and a
      woman, that the conception, bearing and raising of children is the natural
      and desired product of marital relations, and that such relations are only
      permitted within the sanctified bounds of marriage. Any type of intimacy
      outside of these boundaries is considered to be sinful and constitutes a
      barrier to the spiritual life and communion with God.

      Man is created for the purpose of communion with God. To that end, we are
      endowed with the image and likeness of God, and any barrier to the
      fulfillment of that image and likeness runs counter to our created purpose.
      When we do not act in accordance with God's will, engaging in behavior
      which is sinful-- that is, behavior which prevents the realization of God's
      image and likeness in us -- then we suffer the eternal consequences of
      those actions.

      In the modern culture, much emphasis has been placed on the "culture of the
      flesh" and the eternal and spiritual nature of man has been minimized.
      Self- indulgence has become the primary value and is protected by our
      modern society under the pretext of individual "civil rights." Personal
      gratification and fulfillment in this world has supplanted the spiritual
      striving for purity and holiness, which is the true source of joy. The love
      of God has been replaced by love of self. The desire of eternal bliss has
      been replaced by the desire for worldly bliss. The fear of eternal
      punishment has been replaced by the fear of worldly discomfort and
      condemnation. Man has supplanted God as the measure of all things.

      It is said by some that there is no difference between the ban that once
      made interracial marriages illegal, and the prohibition now in law against
      allowing same-sex marriages. We do not accept that this is an issue of
      civil rights, or the protection of a minority. The decision by a state to
      extend the provisions of law covering civil marriage to include same-sex
      unions is irrelevant in God's eyes. Within the Church, the mystery of Holy
      Matrimony is not a right; it is a calling, intended by God for a specific
      purpose, and not merely the fulfilling of earthly lusts, or the comfort of
      a life shared together. The argument that same-sex unions is "natural,"
      while apparently a powerful argument, ignores the truth that our human
      nature is fallen and corrupted by death, and driven to the satisfaction of
      the desires of the flesh. The expression of sexual desires without the
      blessing of the grace of God is not directed to a life that is natural, but
      is an extension of a death-directed existence. Only by striving to live the
      life of Jesus Christ, risen from the dead, can we begin to understand and
      achieve a life which is truly "natural."

      We, the clergy of the Western American Diocese of the Russian Orthodox
      Church Outside Russia, having concluded our conference with the celebration
      of the Presanctified Divine Liturgy of the Precious Body and Blood of our
      Lord Jesus Christ, in which we pray for the "purification of souls and
      bodies, and for the restraint of the passions," reject and decry this
      erosion of eternal and spiritual values and truths. We affirm that the
      sacrament of marriage is only obtained from God and within the confines of
      the One, Holy, Catholic, and Apostolic Church. We affirm that this marriage
      is limited to the union of one man and one woman and that the conception,
      bearing and rearing of children is a normal and desired part of the marital
      union. We affirm that any other "marital" relationship, even though it may
      bear the sanction of the state or the society at large, cannot be
      considered marriage and that it is sinful and creates a barrier between God
      and man and frustrates the purpose of man to enter into union with God.

      "Therefore, brethren, stand fast and hold the traditions which ye have been
      taught, whether by word, or our epistle." (2 Thes. 2:15)

      February 28/March 12, 2004
      San Francisco