Re questions about Altar Servers' Guides

  • Michael Tscheekar
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 12, 2004

      >Alex asks: 1) am I right in concluding from what you wrote that Fr Stavros' book
      >does not include instructions for a bishop's service? and 2) you
      >write in your message "ROCOR and OCA usage." In what ways do they
      >differ?
      >
      >Reply to Alex through the List (may be of general interest):

      1) Father Stavros' book does not include anything at all about a
      bishop's service. In my correspondence with him when this book came out,
      I learned that he was hoping to do a Hierarchical Liturgy server's
      guide; but nothing has come of it yet.

      2) His book uses the ROCOR translation and the ROCOR formulation for
      commemoration of the the First Hierarch. Other than minor differences in
      the wording of some petitions in the Litanies, I see no difference with
      our parish's OCA usage; as I mentioned, I use it every Sunday. It also
      has a nice section on deportment of altar boys and a vocabulary list of
      common terms.

      The new spiral-bound book by the OCA is invaluable: it makes the
      Presanctified go smoothly. It uses the OCA translation. What is so
      great about it is that all the server's instructions are right there in
      the margin and instructions for serving with a bishop are right there in
      bold print too.

      It's based on usage of the parish of the author and it's got one big
      omission compared to what our parish does: in the Presanctified Liturgy
      it has no Liturgy of the Catechumens. I just wrote in a notation:
      "Liturgy of the Catechumens HERE."

      Also, with this book, I discovered I couldn't see some of the
      directions in the sacred darkness of the Presanctified. So I re-wrote
      key directions in larger print. There's plenty of room in the margin.

      Misha in Santa Maria