Re: Altar Server's Guides

  • aprmih
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 11, 2004
      Joachim, Michael,
      Thank you both for your very useful replies. Two questions Michael,
      1) am I right in concluding from what you wrote that Fr Stavros' book
      does not include instructions for a bishop's service? and 2) you
      write in you message "ROCOR and OCA usage." In what ways do they
      differ?

      Once again, thank you very much,
      Alex

      --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, Michael Tscheekar <misha@s...>

    • for4z@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 12, 2004
        The talk of altar server's guides reminded me of a question. An old priest (now deceased) told me that there is a practice during the small entrance for the acolyte to carry the candle and stand next to the icon of Christ, until the proclamation of "wisdom aright," at which point the acolyte descends to the foot of the ambo in order to recieve the priest's blessing. As peculiar and unfamiliar as this sounds, there is even an illustration of this practice in Fr. Slobodskoy's Law of God, where the acolyte is depicted standing next to the icon of Christ during the small entrance. Does anybody know anything about this practice...was it a regional thing in Russia?

        I also read a pre-revolutionary explanation of church services which explicitly stipulates that Ripidion (fans) are only to be used during a bishop's service. In pre-communist Russia there were two archimandrites, priors of lavras, who had special blessings to use ripidions while serving as well. Even in Russia today, despite mitred archpriests serving in the Cathedral of Christ the Saviour in Moscow and Kazan Cathedral in St. Petersburg, ripidion are only utlized in these main national cathedrals when a bishop serves. With all of the meticulous following of tradition in our ROCOR, it's interesting how the use of ripidions has not remained constant.

        It's not really a big deal, I just thought it was interesting.

        -Nick Zaharov
      • Fr Michael Protopopov
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 12, 2004
          Dear Michael,
          Where is this book available?
          Sorry to bother you.
          Fr Michael
[...]

          my serving was almost flawless, thanks to the rubrics in this book: I
          knew what to do before it was time to do it.

          Michael Tscheekar, Santa Maria

        • Joachim Wertz
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 14, 2004
            Fr. Stravros' book is now, I am told, available on line at
            www.sarovpress.com

            Joachim Wertz

            From: "Fr Michael Protopopov" <proto@...>
            Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2004 16:58:51 +1000

[...]