Re: Altar Server's Guides

  • Michael Tscheekar
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 11, 2004
      Father Stavros Rouso's book, "A Guide for Altar Servers," is very
      helpful. The first part gives illustrated directions for servers at the
      Liturgy; the second part is the complete text of the Liturgy.

      I copied the rubrics from the first part into the margins of the
      Liturgy's text in the second part, and I have it with me and refer to it
      every Sunday. ROCOR usage.

      Father Stavros transferred the publication of this book to the source
      cited in earlier posts here.

      Even better, in my opinion, is a new guide for altar servers available
      from the Orthodox Christian Publications Center of the OCA:

      OCPC
      P.O. Box 588
      Wayne, NJ 07474-0588

      Tel: 973-331-9190
      Fax: 973-331-9505

      It contains the complete altar server's directions for the Divine
      Liturgy and for the Liturgy of the Presanctified Gifts, printed in the
      margin right next to the complete text. It even includes, in bold print,
      the server's directions for use when a bishop is serving. It's spiral
      bound. OCA usage.

      I have been using it to serve at the Presanctified Liturgy: last night,
      my serving was almost flawless, thanks to the rubrics in this book: I
      knew what to do before it was time to do it.

      Michael Tscheekar, Santa Maria

    • aprmih
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 11, 2004
        Joachim, Michael,
        Thank you both for your very useful replies. Two questions Michael,
        1) am I right in concluding from what you wrote that Fr Stavros' book
        does not include instructions for a bishop's service? and 2) you
        write in you message "ROCOR and OCA usage." In what ways do they
        differ?

        Once again, thank you very much,
        Alex

        --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, Michael Tscheekar <misha@s...>

      • for4z@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 12, 2004
          The talk of altar server's guides reminded me of a question. An old priest (now deceased) told me that there is a practice during the small entrance for the acolyte to carry the candle and stand next to the icon of Christ, until the proclamation of "wisdom aright," at which point the acolyte descends to the foot of the ambo in order to recieve the priest's blessing. As peculiar and unfamiliar as this sounds, there is even an illustration of this practice in Fr. Slobodskoy's Law of God, where the acolyte is depicted standing next to the icon of Christ during the small entrance. Does anybody know anything about this practice...was it a regional thing in Russia?

          I also read a pre-revolutionary explanation of church services which explicitly stipulates that Ripidion (fans) are only to be used during a bishop's service. In pre-communist Russia there were two archimandrites, priors of lavras, who had special blessings to use ripidions while serving as well. Even in Russia today, despite mitred archpriests serving in the Cathedral of Christ the Saviour in Moscow and Kazan Cathedral in St. Petersburg, ripidion are only utlized in these main national cathedrals when a bishop serves. With all of the meticulous following of tradition in our ROCOR, it's interesting how the use of ripidions has not remained constant.

          It's not really a big deal, I just thought it was interesting.

          -Nick Zaharov
        • Fr Michael Protopopov
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 12, 2004
            Dear Michael,
            Where is this book available?
            Sorry to bother you.
            Fr Michael

            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 14, 2004
              Fr. Stravros' book is now, I am told, available on line at
              www.sarovpress.com

              Joachim Wertz

              From: "Fr Michael Protopopov" <proto@...>
              Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2004 16:58:51 +1000

[...]