St. Seraphim/NYC in Moscow

  • DDD
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 5, 2004
      What happened to St. Seraphim's Church in NYC? I am not familiar with it...

      --Dimitra

      Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2004 09:43:42 -0500
      From: Hristofor <hristofor@...>
      Subject: St Seraphim/NYC in Moscow

      Ayone familiar with the former Church of St Seraphim in NYC will
      recognize its iconostas in the restored Church of St Tatiana, at Moscow
      University:
      http://www.st-tatiana.ru/index.html?did=164

      The whole photogallery, detailing the restoration of the church is very
      nice. Especially touching is the font for adult baptisms (last picture
      on the page):
      http://www.st-tatiana.ru/index.html?did=592

      and also the transformation from theatre to church:
      http://www.st-tatiana.ru/index.html?did=587

      Hristofor

    • Hristofor
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 5, 2004
        It was located on 108th Street, between Broadway and Riverside Drive.
        When Fr. Alexander (Kisilev) moved back to Russia in the early 90's, the
        St Seraphim Foundation sold the brownstone (For non-New Yorkers, its a
        3-4 story narrow building, faced with reddish-brown sandstone;
        originally private residences later, divided into apartments; they now
        cost a fortune.) and the interior was packed up and shipped to Russia.
        Working only a few blocks away, it was incredibly convenient for weekday
        feast, Lenten Presanctifieds. I still miss it.

        Hristofor