Taking TRUTH seriously... & Politics in Russia

  • byakimov@csc.com.au
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 26, 2004
      http://www.salon.com/news/wire/2004/02/24/putin1/index.html (in English)

      As Long As We All Get Along

      Chuck Colson (archive)

      February 5, 2004 |  Print |  Send

      Peter James Lee was one of the sixty Episcopal bishops who voted to approve
      the appointment of Gene Robinson, an openly gay man, as bishop of New
      Hampshire. Since the vote, Lee has faced stiff opposition from conservative
      evangelical churches in his diocese.

      In his speech to the annual meeting of his diocese, Bishop Lee said this,
      "If you must make a choice between heresy and schism, always choose
      heresy."

      I can think of nothing more dangerous. What Lee is basically saying is that
      we can tolerate anything within the Church just to keep the Church
      together.

      What would cause someone to think this way? In part there is much at stake
      economically in keeping things the way they are. Schism is the enemy
      because pastors' retirements and church properties get threatened if you
      break away from a denomination?as do bishops' reputations. But putting
      personal int! erest ahead of truth, sacrificing truth on the altar of what
      we call unity? No. And it's not real unity; it's expediency.

      The second reason for putting unity over truth is that American Christians
      of all stripes?evangelical, as well as liberal?no longer take truth
      seriously. David Brooks in a recent New York Times column made the point
      that Americans believe that, "In the final days, the distinctions will fade
      away, and we will all be united in God's embrace. This happy assumption has
      meant that millions feel free to try on different denominations at
      different points in their lives, and many Americans have had trouble taking
      religious doctrines altogether seriously."

      As a result, says Brooks, we tend to think that all people of good will are
      "basically on the same side," we practice religion that is easygoing and
      experiential rather than rigorous and intellectual, and we "have trouble
      sustaining culture wars."

      The result is that, like Bishop Lee, we've fal! len into this mushy
      ecumenism, believing that doctrines and distinctions make little or no
      difference. But our forebears, particularly in the Reformation tradition,
      didn't shed their blood for retirement plans, for buildings, or for a cozy
      sense that everybody is okay. They shed their blood for truth.

      All other considerations, whether we're seeker-sensitive or liturgical,
      whether we're taking care of our retirement plans or building new
      additions, everything is secondary to the preservation and defense of
      truth.

      This applies to every church, not just the Episcopal church. In my
      experience, Bible-believing churches can sometimes be as unwilling to apply
      church discipline over matters of truth and morality as Bishop Lee. One
      politician I know boasts about his faith while voting for gay rights and
      against the partial-birth abortion ban. Not only is he not disciplined by
      his church in the name of truth, but he gets time and again to speak in the
      pulpit. Anything else! , of course, might cause disunity.

      As Pogo said, "We have just met the enemy, and he is us." It's all well and
      good for evangelicals to sit around and say "those crazy Episcopalians."
      But they're just reflecting what all of us do in lesser degrees. And Lee's
      words ought to be a sobering wake-up call to us all.
    • Benjamin William Champley Waterhouse
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 27, 2004
        True; the only heresy in Anglicanism is schism.

        In Him
        Sinner Benjamin

        --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, byakimov@c... wrote:
        > http://www.salon.com/news/wire/2004/02/24/putin1/index.html (in
        English)

        > As Long As We All Get Along
        >
        > Chuck Colson (archive)
        >
        > February 5, 2004 |  Print |  Send
        >

        > Peter James Lee was one of the sixty Episcopal bishops who voted
        to approve
        > the appointment of Gene Robinson, an openly gay man, as bishop of
        New
        > Hampshire. Since the vote, Lee has faced stiff opposition from
        conservative
        > evangelical churches in his diocese.
        >
        > In his speech to the annual meeting of his diocese, Bishop Lee
        said this,
        > "If you must make a choice between heresy and schism, always choose
        > heresy."
      • ICXC_NIKA_
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 28, 2004
          --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "Benjamin William Champley
          Waterhouse" <bwmc_waterhouse@h...> wrote:
          > True; the only heresy in Anglicanism is schism.

          I don't wish to appear argumentative, but for the sake of
          accuracy, don't the Anglicans recite the Creed with the
          heretical filioque insertion ?

          Love in Christ,
          Deacon John
        • Benjamin William Champley Waterhouse
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 1, 2004
            Dear Reader John,

            My statement was from their point of view!! I don't think I could
            enumerate their actual heresies in less time than reading the
            Synodicon!

            In Him
            Sinner Benjamin

            --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "ICXC_NIKA_"