WOMEN SAINTS OF THE ORTHODOX CHURCH AND ISLAM

  • byakimov@csc.com.au
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 10, 2004
      Published by Pravoslavie.ru, February 3, 2004

      WOMEN SAINTS OF THE ORTHODOX CHURCH AND ISLAM

      In the recent years due to the increased migration and not less strong
      proselytism many of us have found ourselves if not in Moslem environment
      but at least with many Moslem neighbours. Those neighbours as all people
      are different but as a rule they don't hide their faith, their conviction
      in its superiority and rather often take attempts to make people
      acquainted with it.

      Alas, such a sad event when, baptized in the Orthodox church girls and
      women, get married Moslems and some of them even adopt Islam, happens
      rather often. Those who do not adopt it personally have to be prepared to
      their children becoming Moslems ? such are laws of Islam. And as shows the
      practice it results in the family misfortune, sufferings and grief of
      those women.

      If to contemplate, it is not surprising. Not by mere chance the church
      forbids to marry those belonging to different faith. Such marriage will
      not be consecrated by the church canons, hence, blessed by God, also the
      main thing is that in its essence the married couple should be single in
      everything. It is a natural law and desire of human souls. But if such
      unity is missing in the most essential thing ? faith ? it will not be
      present in other things. In the beginning it can be easily disguised with
      mutual affection, but without the real unity as grounds, the affection is
      fading away fast and the inner discord inevitably shows up on the surface
      and under this or that pretext it will start darkening the relations, with
      time more and more.

      Some unhappy women, realizing this by intuition, adopt Islam. But, as
      practice shows, such a step doesn't make the tempted women happy, as
      apostasy is a heavy sin which, if no repentance follows, invokes severe
      recompense still in this life. A lot of terrifying examples are known from
      the life of such "Russian Moslem women" whom their husbands threw away
      from homes, took away children, beat, treated as beasts. God can not be
      profaned: what we sow we shall mow...

      Vice versa, there are cases, not numerous though, when orthodox girls
      succeeded in persuading their Moslem fiances to adopt the true faith. And
      after baptism and church wedding such marriages were very strong and
      happy. In this regard we will remember several cases when orthodox women,
      strong in faith and love for Christ, after having conflicted the Islam
      world, could bring the great fruit of sacredness, proving the superiority
      of the true faith.

      Saint Argery (Argyrie)

      Icon of Saint Argery (Orthodox church of St Cosmos and St Damian. Avignon,
      France)

      In the early 18th century in the Oman Empire in the provincial town of
      Prusse there lived a beautiful Greek girl called Argery. She was brought
      up by pious parents and in her youth years she met her love ? a kind Greek
      youth. They got married in the church and their honeymoon was happy. But,
      their Turkish neighbour was inflamed with lust towards Argery and tried
      with his sweet words to talk her into committing adultery in the absence
      of her husband. The pious wife declined his encroachments. Then the
      embittered Turk slandered her before the judge of Prusse by telling that
      she had promised to become Moslem. According to the laws of Sheriyat, a
      person who expressed the wish to become Moslem must adopt Islam; if he
      denies thereafter he must be punished: for a man ? death penalty, for a
      woman ? life imprisonment. The judge, having believed the plaintiff,
      immediately put Argery into prison. Her husband, wishing to avoid the
      biased judgment demanded its transferal to Istanbul.

      But it didn't help. Both Argery and the Turkish plaintiff came to the
      court of the capital and the Moslem claimed against her, giving the false
      evidence about her before the judge. Argery replied that she had never
      said anything like she was charged with and was not going to betray her
      faith, that she was a Christian and wanted to die as a Christian.
      According to the judge's order she was beaten and thrown into prison, and
      sentenced to the life imprisonment.

      Fear, bitter separation with her beloved husband, difficulties of
      imprisonment, not to say of the regular insults from her criminal Moslem
      neighbours. Torment of the body, of the soul, of the heart ? without
      interruption, from day to day. And she could stop all this at any moment ?
      once she agrees to adopt Islam...

      But spiritual joy helped her to overcome the sufferings and temptations.
      The martyr herself exhausted her body with fasting and other kinds of
      abstinence as was witnessed by other Christian women who were imprisoned
      together with the saint and later released.

      So, she laboured in the prison during seventeen years. With such joy was
      filled the saint's heart because she was imprisoned for Christ, for such
      consolation she considered her imprisonment that when one Christian called
      Manuil Curtsibasis offered her freedom she refused choosing the prison
      better than the tsar chambers. In such a way, imprisoned for the sake of
      Christ, she passed away on 30th April 1725. Her holy relics were laid in
      the church of St. Paraskevi by the blessing of Patriarch Paisios, and till
      nowadays patriarchs, bishops, priests and rulers bow before them.

      Martyr Khadijah-Maria

      Among Bulgarian new martyrs stands apart a Rodopian martyr Khadijah-Maria
      who lived in 19th century. Born in islamized Bulgarian family, Khadijah
      came back to the bosom of the Orthodox Church. Baptism of Khadijah took
      place in the old chapel in Vylkushin hay, to keep the secret. There was a
      big barrel and the priest Konstantin (future bishop and metropolitan of
      Xanphia Illarion), who lived in Memkin house in Radkov family, baptized
      the girl. The new-born Christian concealed it for the whole year so that
      nobody would know, and she passed the candles and communion bread to the
      church with other people while at home she was praying and made bows.

      But by word of mouth the rumour was spread all over the whole village.
      Women secretly called her Tijah-Maria (Tijah is the Bulgarian version of
      the girl's Turkish name), because her Christian name was Maria. It became
      known to her fanatic brothers who came to Derekjoy, found out if it was
      true but she denied that she had been baptized. The next year Tijah-Maria
      was preparing herself for meeting Paskha: coloured the eggs, cooked the
      Easter cakes, made candles, kneaded dough for the Communion bread, in
      anticipation of the Feast. Her brothers who lived in another village came
      secretly in order to check the rumours. On the Maundy Thursday she came
      back from the church and stepped away to her neighbours, while her
      brothers entered her house. There they found the coloured eggs, Easter
      cakes, burning icon-lamp and became sure that she had become "giaour". Her
      brothers hid themselves in the hay. In the evening Tijah-Maria returned
      and, after long prayers, went to bed and fell asleep. In her sleep her
      embittered Moslem brothers started strangling her, when half-strangled,
      they filled her mouth with rags, took her out of the house and put under
      the big blossoming plum tree and there killed her with two shots. The next
      morning the women sent their children to find out what had happened in
      Tijah's house. They saw her lying killed under the blossoming plum tree.
      There she was lying as she was for three days, ? everybody was afraid to
      come and see that she was dead. Over her grave a rose was planted, on St.
      George's Day the women sent for picking up flowers from Tijah's coffin
      which they were keeping through the year for "healing".

      Martyr Platonide

      In the same 19th century in Russia another girl was living in the Tartar
      family. Having learnt from missionaries about the Orthodox Faith and
      having loved Christ with all her heart, she decided to be baptized. Her
      parents however conceived to give her in marriage to a fellow-villager
      without asking her opinion and consent. But the love for Christ turned out
      to be stronger than the love for parents and on the eve of the wedding she
      escaped from home.

      She found the shelter in a convent. There she was baptized, learnt the
      church canons, there, with time, she took the veil with the name
      Platonide. Some years later she was blessed for the hermit life, and
      having left for solitary places of Yekaterinburg region, in wild forests
      close to the town of Revda matushka Platonide laid up a cell and close to
      it, upon her prayers the spring burst out. There she laboured, leading her
      life in spiritual deeds.

      Fanatic natives of Platonide were seeking for the chance to kill her but
      for the sake of holiness of the ascetic a bear protected her. Later the
      bear was killed and they succeeded in killing her with the gun as they
      were afraid to approach her closely. Thus for witnessing Christ the
      ascetic acquired the martyr's halo.

      She was buried in the place of her deeds. Her worshippers erected a chapel
      over matushka's grave, which was standing until the revolution came. Her
      spring called by the name of Platonide became famous as wonder-working and
      many pilgrims before the revolution as well as in Soviet times came there
      to worship the martyr. Even up till nowadays cases of wonderful miracles
      worked through it are known. For example, last year the local newspaper
      informed about a little boy who lost his way in the forest, that he was
      found alive and sound near the spring Platonide. This is how God glorified
      her disciple.

      Nowadays, too, many Moslem girls and women find Christ and get the same
      joy protecting against all burdens, as the above saints. For example, in
      Perm Tartar parents drove her daughter out of home because she was
      baptized. The Kazakh artist of culture, documentary filmmaker Elza
      Dilmukhammedova was converted into the Orthodox Faith. Recently Nazima
      Khanafi Muhammed, the direct grand-daughter of Imam Shamil, the head of
      Chechen people in the war against Russia in 19th century, has been
      converted into the Orthodoxy. Thus the power of God overcomes the human
      sickness and wins over all adversities.

      Yuri Maximov
    • StephenATL/????????
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 11, 2004
        I know the first saint, St. Argyra is commemorated on April 30th.
        Does anyone know when the latter two saints are commemorated??

        Thanks,
        Stephanos