GUARDIAN ANGEL

  • byakimov@csc.com.au
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 8, 2004
      GUARDIAN ANGEL

      Each one of us carries a burden of sins, errors, sorrows, misfortunes; and
      yet, we should not be subjected to all of this, since each one of us has
      his own guardian angel. Why, then, does such a situation exist? The angels,
      of course, would never allow it, were it not our own fault. And if they
      allow it, it is either because we make ourselves inaccessible to angelic
      guidance, or because by our contrariness we destroy and repel all the
      angels' efforts to assist us in doing good.

      First of all, we must always remember that we have a guardian angel, and we
      should turn to him with our mind and heart ? both in the normal course of
      our life, and especially when our life is troubled by something. If we do
      not turn to him, the angel has no way of helping us. When someone walks
      with stopped up ears and closed eyes towards a bog or an abyss ? what can
      you do for such a person and how can you help him? You could shout ? but
      his ears are stopped up; you could make a sign to warn him of impending
      danger ? but his eyes are closed. You may say: let the angel take him by
      the hand and stop him, or lead him out onto the right path. Well, he is
      probably quite ready to do just that, and he looks for your hand, in order
      to take it and lead you out, ? but do you have such a hand? He will not be
      taking you by your physical hand ? although that, too, can happen in
      special cases, ? but by your spiritual hand, because he himself is a
      spirit. The spiritual hand is an active force, directed towards salvation
      and zealously attending to it. When you have such zeal in your soul, then
      the Lord's angel will certainly take you by this hand and lead you;
      otherwise ? what is there for him to hold onto?

      The Guardian Angel
      And again you may say: let him arouse within me the desire for salvation
      himself. But you see, those who have such a desire ? he will encourage and
      fortify; those who do not ? he tries to encourage in all possible ways, but
      for the most part does so unsuccessfully, due to the great confusion
      prevailing in an indolent soul. Within such a soul everything is in
      disarray: thoughts, feelings, intentions; there is disorderly noise as
      though in a marketplace. To the same extent that we are subject to this
      lack of peace and self-discipline, it impedes the angel's influence upon
      us. How can the angel urge us towards good, when he does not have our
      attention? How can the soul hear such an urging, when it is full of noise
      and confusion? It is for this reason that our guardian angel's efforts
      remain fruitless.

      Thus, if you wish to make use of angelic guidance and assistance, ? tame
      your internal disorder, gather your attention within yourself, and stand at
      the gates of your heart. The Lord's angel will notice it immediately, will
      come up to you and will begin to instill thoughts of and a desire for
      salvation within you. Accede to this urging and embark upon spiritual
      labors ? and then not only will the guardian angel take you by the hand,
      but he will take you up into his arms, and not only will he lead you, but
      he will carry you along the path to salvation. At the same time, you must
      respond by keeping your mind and heart inclined toward him, by retaining
      your zeal and remaining attentive. The angel will teach you everything:
      what to do, when and how, and what not to do; and whenever necessary, he
      will even provide external signs for your guidance.

      Saint Theophanus the Recluse

      A PRAYER TO ARCHANGEL MICHAEL, THE MIGHTY WARRIOR

      O Lord God, Great and Eternal King!

      Send, O Lord, Thy Archangel Michael to help Thy servant (name), and to
      deliver me from all my enemies, visible and invisible.

      O Archangel Michael, angel of the Lord and vanquisher of demons! Suppress
      all my combatants, make them meek as sheep, and disperse them like dust
      before the wind.

      O great Michael, Archangel of the Lord, six-winged high prince, leader of
      the heavenly host, the Cherubim and the Seraphim! O kind Archangel Michael,
      be my helper in all offenses, sorrows and woes, in the desert, at the
      crossroads, be a safe haven on rivers and seas. Deliver me, O great
      Archangel Michael, from all the temptations of the demons, when they hear
      me, thy sinful servant (name), praying to thee, and calling upon thee, and
      entreating thy holy name: hasten to assist me and heed my prayer.

      O great Archangel Michael! Vanquish all my opponents by the power of the
      Holy and Life-giving Heavenly Cross of the Lord, by the prayers of the
      Most-holy Theotokos and the holy apostles, the holy prophet of God Elias,
      saint Nicholas the wonderworker, saint Andrew the fool-for-Christ, the holy
      great martyrs Nikitas and Eustace, the venerable fathers and holy
      hierarchs, martyrs, and all the heavenly host. Amen.

      Whosoever reads this ancient prayer ? on that day will he be touched
      neither by the devil, nor by any evil man, nor will any temptation seduce
      his heart. If he should pass from this life ? hell will not take in his
      soul.