Re: [orthodox-synod] ROCA-ROCOR members in Moscow (Official)

    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 3, 2004
      "Kato" wrote:

      > Watching the news today on russian tv, out of the blue, I found out
      > that there's a Russian Orthodox meeting happening at Sergeiev Possad
      > today. Alot of business elite, political leaders as well as the
      > russian foreign minister all of who are taking part.
      >
      > Among them, the Russian Orthodox Church Abroad members too.

      JRS: I read only two of these articles, but I saw no indication in them
      that ROCOR members were actually present (though why shouldn't they be
      present, for that matter?).

      All the first two articles said, was that the visit of the ROCOR
      delegation was discussed (there was one such visit last fall, another
      planned for the first part of this year).

    • goossir
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 4, 2004
        Dear Father John, Bless!

        Try this link, and you will see that it is confirmed.

        http://www.vesti.ru/news.html?id=48725

        Yours, in Christ

        Irina Pahlen

        <vrevjrs@e...> wrote:

        > "Kato" wrote:
        >
        > > Watching the news today on russian tv, out of the blue, I found
        out
        > > that there's a Russian Orthodox meeting happening at Sergeiev
        Possad
        > > today. Alot of business elite, political leaders as well as the
        > > russian foreign minister all of who are taking part.
        > >
        > > Among them, the Russian Orthodox Church Abroad members too.
        >
        > JRS: I read only two of these articles, but I saw no indication in
        them
        > that ROCOR members were actually present (though why shouldn't they
        be
        > present, for that matter?).
        >
        > All the first two articles said, was that the visit of the ROCOR
        > delegation was discussed (there was one such visit last fall,
        another
        > planned for the first part of this year).
        >
        > In Christ
        > Fr. John R. Shaw
      • Archpriest Stefan Pavlenko
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 4, 2004
          Russian Congress calls for closeness btw Russian Church branches
          03.02.2004, SERGIYEV POSSAD, Moscow region, February 3
          (www.itar-tass.com) - Participants of the 8th World Congress of the
          Russian People, underway in the Holy Trinity Monastery near Moscow,
          have called for a rapprochement between the Russian Orthodox Church
          reporting to Moscow Partiarchate and the Russian Orthodox Church
          Abroad (ROCA).
          "It is a pleasure for us to point out the positive tendencies that
          have taken a clear outline in relations between the mainstream Russian
          Church and ROCA," Patriarch of Moscow and All Russia Alexis II said in
          a speech at the Congress.
          "There is hope now that the division of our Church, produced by the
          tragic events of the past century will be eliminated," he said.
          Russia must help the nations espousing Eastern Orthodox Christianity
          to keep unity as members of an identical civilization, Alexis II said.
          "Nowadays challenges compel the nations having close cultural and
          spiritual traditions to unite," Alexis II said. "This is happening at
          a time when the integration process is gaining pace and the Moslem
          nations are consolidating, too".
          "The Eastern Orthodox civilization must consider its role in world
          processes," Alexis II said.
          Patriarch of Moscow and All Russia Alexis II has had a conversation
          with officials representing Local Orthodox Churches from foreign
          countries.
          "Fairly recently, many Eastern Orthodox Churches were oppressed by
          totalitarian regimes," Alexis II said. "But now we are evidencing a
          return of our nations to the values of Orthodoxy".
          "Revival goes beyond the restoration of church buildings; it is now
          embracing education and social services," he indicated.
          Representatives of Orthodox Churches from many countries have taken
          part in the sessions of the Congress, as well as made reports at it.
          Officials from the Patriarchates of Constantinople, Alexandria,
          Antioch, and Jerusalem were among them.
          Metropolitan Cyril, the chairman of external relations department at
          Moscow Patriarchate, dismissed the opinion that ROCA could be ignored
          because of having a mere 300 parishes across the world.
          "Statistic arguments are totally irrelevant when it comes down to the
          destiny of the people, whose ancestors made up the cream of Russian
          society," His Beatitude Cyril said, adding that reunification of the
          two branches of a once united Russian Church might have a good curing
          effect on this country.
          He indicated that the world has around 300 million followers of
          Eastern Orthodoxy at the moment, and the Russians make up about a half
          of them.
          Metropolitan Cyril recalled at the same time that there are Arabs,
          Americans, Europeans, and representatives of African nations among the
          worldwide Eastern Orthodox congregation.
          "Not only do the Orthodox countries play the role of a bridge between
          the Orient and the Occident, they also make up an independent
          civilization, based on the idea of mutual servicing rather than
          domination of some peoples over others," he said.
          Russia's Foreign Minister Igor Ivanov, who also addressed the
          Congress, said Russia abides by Christian principles in its foreign
          policy, as it demands respectful relations between different countries.
          He said the Russian diplomats had been pleased to notice the prospects
          of overcoming the divide between the two branches of the Church.
          Hierarchs of all the 15 autonomous Eastern Orthodox Churches, the ROCA
          followers, and representatives of Russian communities from across the
          world are attending the Congress.
          The organizers have also invited Russian government officials,
          activists of creative unions, scientists and public figures to attend.
          February 4, the sessions will continue at St Daniel's Monastery in
          Moscow.
          Russia's President Vladimir Putin has sent greetings to the
          participants in and guests of the 8th World Russian Congress.
          "For over a decade, your forum has been gathering representatives of
          the Russian clergy, scientists, people of artistic professions,
          intellectuals, and public activists for a discussion of pressing
          issues of the country's development," Putin said in a telegram of
          greetings.
          "The topic of the forum, Russia and the Eastern Orthodox World
          converges many vital aspects of nowadays life," he said.
          "Let me hope that your activity will help tap the ways of solution of
          the crucial humanitarian problems, as well as consolidate the
          spiritual and moral principles of society," Putin indicated.
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 4, 2004
            Irina Pahlen wrote:

            > Dear Father John, Bless!
            >
            > Try this link, and you will see that it is confirmed.
            >
            > http://www.vesti.ru/news.html?id=48725

            JRS: After several minutes, nothing more than the logo at the top of
            the page ("VESTI") had appeared on my computer screen: no articles of
            any kind.

            However, thus far it does appear that some representatives of ROCOR are
            in Moscow.

            There is nothing wrong with that, as I see it!

          • vkozyreff
            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 5, 2004
              Dear Father John, bless.

              This is the text published under

              http://www.vesti.ru/news.html?id=48725

              My translation is below.

              03.02.2004 17:14, Íîâîñòü. Àëåêñèé II îòêðûë Âñåìèðíûé ðóññêèé
              íàðîäíûé ñîáîð.

              Èåðàðõè ïÿòíàäöàòè Ïîìåñòíûõ ïðàâîñëàâíûõ öåðêâåé, à òàêæå Ðóññêîé
              öåðêâè çà ðóáåæîì ñîáðàëèñü â ñðåäó â ñòåíàõ Òðîèöå-Ñåðèåâîé ëàâðû íà
              Âñåìèðíûé ðóññêèé íàðîäíûé ñîáîð.

              Âïåðâûå çà ïîñëåäíèå äåñÿòü ëåò, â òå÷åíèå êîòîðûõ ïðîâîäèòñÿ ýòî
              ìåðîïðèÿòèå, â íåì ïðèíèìàþò ó÷àñòèå ïðåäñòàâèòåëè Ðóññêîé öåðêâè çà
              ðóáåæîì è ñòàðîîáðÿä÷åñêîé îáùèíû. Ïðàâîñëàâèå èñïîâåäóþò îêîëî 300
              ìèëëèîíîâ õðèñòèàí, è, îòêðûâàÿ Ñîáîð, Ïàòðèàðõ Àëåêñèé II ïðèçâàë èõ
              ê åäèíåíèþ.

              "Íàáèðàþò ñèëó èíòåãðàöèîííûå ïðîöåññû â Åâðîïå, ìóñóëüìàíñêèå
              ãîñóäàðñòâà ñòðåìÿòñÿ êîíñîëèäèðîâàòü ñâîè óñèëèÿ íà ìåæäóíàðîäíîé
              àðåíå. Ìîãóò ëè â òàêèõ óñëîâèÿõ îñòàâàòüñÿ ðàçîáùåííûìè ñòðàíû ñ
              ìíîãîâåêîâîé ïðàâîñëàâíîé êóëüòóðîé?" - çàÿâèë Àëåêñèé II.

              The Hierarchs of fifteen local orthodox churches, and also the
              Russian church abroad have gathered on Wednesday within the walls of
              the Trinity – Sergius Lavra for the "World Russian national
              convention".

              For the first time since the ten years during which this action has
              been going on, representatives of the Russian church abroad and an of
              the old believers community are taking part. Orthodoxy counts about
              300 million Christians, and, while opening the convention, Patriarch
              Alexis II called for their union.

              "The integration processes in Europe is gaining strength, the Muslim
              states want to consolidate their efforts on the international scene.
              Under such conditions, may the countries with centuries-old orthodox
              culture remain separated? " asked Alexis II.

              Faher P. Holodny represented the ROCOR at this meeting. His
              interview, published on the site below conveys a rather strange
              message from the ROCOR.

              http://www.radiomayak.ru/society/04/02/04/27709.html

              The picture of "Viesti" shows Alexis II addressing the meeting.
              Behind him, an acquaintance of mine, Serghey Lykoshin, is sitting.

              http://www.whoiswho.ru/russian/Password/journals/31997/lykoshinr.htm

              He is a member of the Russian Union of Writers. I also know
              personally the secretary of the same association, L. B., with whom I
              talked on the telephone today. She too was invited to participate in
              the meeting and prepared a presentation on the necessity of Orthodox
              education in schools.

              At the last moment, her participation was cancelled with no reason
              given. She then asked the president of the Russian Union of Writers
              why she could not attend. The official reason was that she had been
              once close to "Natsionalniy Patriotichesky Soyuz", which has a very
              bad press now. The real but unofficial reason however was that she
              had never been a member of the communist party.

              Father Holodny was apparently in good company (Birds of a feather
              flock together).

              http://www.radiomayak.ru/society/04/02/04/27709.html

              In God,

              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 5, 2004
                Vladimir Kozyreff wrote:

                > Faher P. Holodny represented the ROCOR at this meeting. His
                > interview, published on the site below conveys a rather strange
                > message from the ROCOR.
                >
                > http://www.radiomayak.ru/society/04/02/04/27709.html

                JRS: You do not specify what is "strange" in his message. I'm afraid I
                don't see anything could honestly I disagree with.

                The main "technical" problems are indeed that each jurisdiction has
                taken in priests suspended by the other -- and that, in some places,
                there are "parallel parishes", with a hostile mutual relationship.

              • michael nikitin
                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 5, 2004
                  One day we faithful may wake up and
                  find ourselves in the arms of the MP.

                  If there is nothing wrong with attending, why
                  are the faithful kept in the dark?

                  Michael N

                  "Fr. John R. Shaw" <vrevjrs@...> wrote: Irina Pahlen wrote:

                  > Dear Father John, Bless!
                  >
                  > Try this link, and you will see that it is confirmed.
                  >
                  > http://www.vesti.ru/news.html?id=48725

                  JRS: After several minutes, nothing more than the logo at the top of
                  the page ("VESTI") had appeared on my computer screen: no articles of
                  any kind.

                  However, thus far it does appear that some representatives of ROCOR are
                  in Moscow.

                  There is nothing wrong with that, as I see it!

                • Elena Baranov
                  Message 8 of 15 , Feb 10, 2004
                    For many, the "strangeness" factor in the ROCOR -- MP encounters is the fact that the person at the center of ROCOR -- MP meetings is Archpriest Peter Holodny, the treasurer of ROCOR, i.e. someone who holds the purse strings and who has detailed and complete knowledge of ROCOR's assets, finances and property documents.

                    The atmosphere of secrecy and denials on the part of ROCOR hierarchy adds further to the "strangeness" factor and creates a major credibility gap.

                    During November 2003 visit of ROCOR bishops to Moscow, according to reports from "Nezavisimaya Gazeta" among others, the agenda for day two of the meetings focused on transfer of ROCOR properties to "Mother Church". Fr. Holodny, in his follow up interviews in Moscow, indirectly admitted that the transfer of ROCOR property is part of the dialogue.

                    If one reads Russian news articles on the proposed union between ROCOR and MP, including MP and orthodox publications, their emphasis is on ROCOR assets, number of parishes and ROCOR cash flow. Hardly any value is placed on spiritual heritage or canonical issues. From the spiritual aspect, ROCOR is consistently depicted as a group of schismatics or worse -- Deacon Kuraev's recent article on ROCOR is a good example in this respect. It is unfortunate that most of these publications are not available in English translations.

                    EAB
                    > Faher P. Holodny represented the ROCOR at this meeting. His
                    > interview, published on the site below conveys a rather strange
                    > message from the ROCOR.
                    >
                    > http://www.radiomayak.ru/society/04/02/04/27709.html

                    JRS: You do not specify what is "strange" in his message. I'm afraid I
                    don't see anything could honestly I disagree with.

                    The main "technical" problems are indeed that each jurisdiction has
                    taken in priests suspended by the other -- and that, in some places,
                    there are "parallel parishes", with a hostile mutual relationship.

                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                    Message 9 of 15 , Feb 11, 2004
                      Regarding:

                      > For many, the "strangeness" factor in the ROCOR -- MP encounters is
                      the fact that the person at the center of ROCOR -- MP meetings is
                      Archpriest Peter Holodny, the treasurer of ROCOR,

                      JRS: Why do you say that he is "in the center"? Except that his name
                      recently has appeared in the news.

                      i.e. someone who holds the purse strings and who has detailed and
                      complete knowledge of ROCOR's assets, finances and property documents.

                      JRS: Assets and finances that are *not* impressive, sad to say!

                      > The atmosphere of secrecy and denials on the part of ROCOR hierarchy
                      adds further to the "strangeness" factor and creates a major
                      credibility gap.

                      JRS: Also I see no signs of "secrecy", or of a credibility gap.

                      For me, the "credibility gap" lies in ROCiE, with its systematic
                      attempts to deceive the faithful, its deliberate misinformation,
                      attempts to "spin" every news item into something that would somehow
                      work in their favor.

                      > During November 2003 visit of ROCOR bishops to Moscow, according to
                      reports from "Nezavisimaya Gazeta" among others, the agenda for day two
                      of the meetings focused on transfer of ROCOR properties to "Mother
                      Church". Fr. Holodny, in his follow up interviews in Moscow,
                      indirectly admitted that the transfer of ROCOR property is part of the
                      dialogue.

                      JRS: This is absolute rubbish. There has been no question of "transfer
                      of properties", and this has been stated several times.

                      Nor could there very well be any such transfers, since the MP does not
                      own its own property!

                      > If one reads Russian news articles on the proposed union between
                      ROCOR and MP, including MP and orthodox publications, their emphasis is
                      on ROCOR assets, number of parishes and ROCOR cash flow.

                      JRS: Absolute rubbish. There may be *speculation* about such things, by
                      various reporters, but there has been no such discussion of assets, nor
                      will there be.

                      > Hardly any value is placed on spiritual heritage or canonical
                      issues. From the spiritual aspect, ROCOR is consistently depicted as a
                      group of schismatics or worse -- Deacon Kuraev's recent article on
                      ROCOR is a good example in this respect. It is unfortunate that most
                      of these publications are not available in English translations.

                      JRS: Why is that "unfortunate"? The MP has not made any such statements
                      since the beginning of actual contacts; and we have people, in
                      particular some deacons, in ROCOR who have made irresponsible personal
                      statements.

                      Message 10 of 15 , Feb 11, 2004
                        Elena Baranova wrote:

                        > > If one reads Russian news articles on the proposed union between
                        > ROCOR and MP, including MP and orthodox publications, their emphasis
                        is
                        > on ROCOR assets, number of parishes and ROCOR cash flow.

                        JRS: Just to show what nonsense such claims are, the Church Abroad has
                        been very hard-pressed for funds now for a long time.

                        The main reason for this, is that people donate so little to the
                        Church.

                        The recent influx of new people from Russia has not helped the problem
                        at all, since many of them suppose that in America, the Church is
                        supported by the goverment, or that "the Church is wealthy", as your
                        own comments seem to suggest.

                        My impression, in fact, is that the Patriarchal parishes outside of
                        Russia are much more affluent today, than most of the parishes of ROCOR!

                        The only purpose in making such absurd claims, would be to cause as
                        much doubt and murmuring among our people as possible: and this, in
                        turn, shows total lack of regard for the welfare of the Church and
                        faithful in general; a desire merely to enhance the fortunes of ROCiE,
                        and to hurt ROCOR, no matter by what means.

                      • vkozyreff
                        Message 11 of 15 , Feb 12, 2004
                          Dear Father John, bless.

                          You say that the MP is not interested by the ROCOR properties. What
                          is then the meaning of the well known ROCOR declaration below?

                          "Statement of the Synod of Bishops of the Russian Orthodox Church
                          Outside of Russia to the Russian Orthodox People
                          The leadership of the Moscow Patriarchate has now officially declared
                          that it views the property of the Russian Church Outside of Russia as
                          belonging to itself, for only it, and no other, is the "sole legal
                          heir to the property of the pre-Revolutionary Church," which,
                          consequently, "is being held by the schismatics abroad illegally,"
                          and that such a decision "is accepted by the Orthodox believing
                          people of Russia with joy and profound gratitude.""

                          http://www.russianorthodoxchurch.ws/english/pages/poslania/statementof
                          synod.html

                          What is the reason why Father Peter Kholodny, explicitly named as
                          the "ROCOR's treasurer" went to Moscow at such an early stage of the
                          union's process? One would have expected that the Synod's treasurer
                          would have had nothing to discuss with the MP, unless financial
                          matters were on the agenda.

                          DELEGATION OF THE RUSSIAN ORTHODOX CHURCH OUTSIDE OF RUSSIA VISITS
                          MOSCOW

                          A delegation of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia
                          consisting of Archbishop Mark of Berlin and Germany, Archbishop
                          Hilarion of Sydney, Australia and New Zealand, Bishop Kyrill of San
                          Francisco and Western America, Archpriest Nikolai Artemoff, secretary
                          of the German diocese and Archpriest Peter Holodny, treasurer of the
                          Synod of Bishops, arrived in Moscow on 17 November 2003 at the
                          invitation of the Russian Orthodox Church-Moscow Patriarchate.

                          Press-release, November 19. 2003
                          http://www.russian-orthodox-church.org.ru/ne311192.htm

                          We have no animosity towards Father Peter, on the contrary. Some of
                          the French ROCOR (V) faithful recall that Father Peter Kholodny, who
                          was spending his holidays in Cannes in June 2001, kindly attended at
                          that time with the ROCOR (V) faithful, the liturgy celebrated by Vl
                          Varnava, just after the latter had left the Synod (L).

                          Please do not see here any "desire merely to enhance the fortunes of
                          ROCiE, and to hurt ROCOR, no matter by what means", but just the wish
                          to understand.

                          In God,

                          <vrevjrs@e...> wrote:
                          > Elena Baranova wrote:
                          >
                          > > > If one reads Russian news articles on the proposed union
                          between
                          > > ROCOR and MP, including MP and orthodox publications, their
                          emphasis
                          > is
                          > > on ROCOR assets, number of parishes and ROCOR cash flow.
                          >
                          > JRS: Just to show what nonsense such claims are, the Church Abroad
                          has
                          > been very hard-pressed for funds now for a long time.
                          >
                          > The main reason for this, is that people donate so little to the
                          > Church.
                          >
                          > The recent influx of new people from Russia has not helped the
                          problem
                          > at all, since many of them suppose that in America, the Church is
                          > supported by the goverment, or that "the Church is wealthy", as
                          your
                          > own comments seem to suggest.
                          >
                          > My impression, in fact, is that the Patriarchal parishes outside of
                          > Russia are much more affluent today, than most of the parishes of
                          ROCOR!

                          > The only purpose in making such absurd claims, would be to cause as
                          > much doubt and murmuring among our people as possible: and this, in
                          > turn, shows total lack of regard for the welfare of the Church and
                          > faithful in general;
                          >
                          > In Christ
                          > Fr. John R. Shaw
                        • michael nikitin
                          Message 12 of 15 , Feb 12, 2004
                            ROCOR's property in Jerusalem was given to the MP by those
                            who wanted union with MP. The deed to the property mysteriously appeared
                            in the hands of MP just before the visit and procurement of the property by
                            force by our Mother Church. This was already written in the books as a prelude to
                            union.

                            Union of Mysteries now.........transfer of property later.

                            Union would have materialized long ago if the faithful
                            did not leave as did HOCNA, ROAC and ROCOR(V).

                            Now the faithful are slowly being aclimatized to the MP as to weather.

                            The assets are pretty impressive when one considers the Church property
                            in many countries belonging to ROCOR.

                            There is more to this than meets the eye.

                            Michael N

                          • boulia_1
                            Message 13 of 15 , Feb 12, 2004
                              Dear Vladimir,

                              I don't want to get too involved with this discussion, as my own
                              knowledge of 'facts' is limited, and, on the eve of the Great fast, i
                              I am wont to get into argument. But one thing I, and most Synod
                              (Cathedral) people who know the Holodny family, am aware of is that
                              Fr. Peter is REGULARLY in Moscow. At one point, his entire family
                              (wife and three lovely children) took residence there, and, though
                              they decided not to stay for the childrens' sake, he may well still
                              own a home there.

                              However, his Moscow presence was NOT at ROCOR's behest, but a
                              requirement of business connected with his financial services
                              industry job. (Unfortunately, despite ideas that ROCOR is "rich,"
                              many and perhaps most of our Priests do have to take earthly jobs to
                              support their families.)

                              Hence, I suspect that there is a simple answer to the following
                              question which you posed:

                              > What is the reason why Father Peter Kholodny, explicitly named as
                              > the "ROCOR's treasurer" went to Moscow at such an early stage of
                              the
                              > union's process? One would have expected that the Synod's treasurer
                              > would have had nothing to discuss with the MP, unless financial
                              > matters were on the agenda.

                              I am CONFIDENT that Fr. Peter happened to be in Moscow at the time,
                              for OTHER reasons, and joined in, being that "his own" fellow ROCOR
                              clergy were in town (despite slanderous comments on this list to the
                              contrary, it is a RARITY for him to be among his own in Moscow, and I
                              am sure he was happy to see everyone, especially Vl. Hilarion, who
                              was at one time his ruling Bishop in NY...).

                              By the way, the press release you quote explicitly states that Father
                              Peter is treasurer of the Synod of Bishops, NOT of "ROCOR". There IS
                              a difference! And the press releadr was issued by the MP, and I think
                              they got it wrong. As far as I know (and I checked a year-old edition
                              of the ROCOR "spisok"), O. Petr is the treasurer of the NY DIOCESE
                              (and I believe of the Synod CATHEDRAL), but not of "the" Synod
                              itself.

                              I fear you are too ready to find fault and are anxiously over-
                              suspicious, in this case.

                              Wishing you peace and a blessed Fast,
                              Elizabeth
                              Message 14 of 15 , Feb 12, 2004
                                Vladimir Kozyreff wrote:

                                > "Statement of the Synod of Bishops of the Russian Orthodox Church
                                > Outside of Russia to the Russian Orthodox People
                                > The leadership of the Moscow Patriarchate has now officially declared
                                > that it views the property of the Russian Church Outside of Russia as
                                > belonging to itself...

                                JRS: The above quote does not reflect the current situation.

                                As I have written before -- the idea that "time does not pass" is
                                simply not borne out by reality.