Fwd: Re: [orthodox-synod] Help in Kiev

  • Valentina Grigorieva
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 29, 2004
      écrit :

      > Dear friends in Christ,
      > > we are planning a trip to Kiev after Pascha. I'm
      > > trying to locate some church goods producers:
      > > vestments, liturgical fabrics, wood carvings,
      > ikons,
      > > et cetera. Can anyone direct me as to where to go
      > to find these things.

      in front of St Sophia you can see St Michael
      Sobor/Monastery with a very interesting store, quite
      complete and cheaper than Lavra's. The main
      cathedral is quite ugly but the nice old white stone
      Church at the right side has a good monastic choir.
      kievian voices were always the best ones.
      Not far : Andryevsky Usviz (descent) an open market
      with a HUGE choice of folk production (embroideries,
      wood, stones, etc...) at the CHEAPEST prices (5/10
      times cheaper than Russia), you'll find very nice
      pieces suitable for analoy for 10 usd with various
      colour, and folk costumes (old and new ones).
      Beware extra weight a Kev Airport is charged 15
      usd/kilo. Try also :
      http://www.yellowpages.kiev.ua/

      > > Also aside from the Lavra, what sites to seek out
      > in and around Kiev.
      Have a look at following site very useful. Of course
      St Vladimir, St Sophia, St Andrew (baroque) are the
      must + Village Pirohovo historical open-air museum
      of all the regions of Ukraine (2 hours walking around
      minimum)
      http://www.relc.com/kiev/index.htm
      NB : upper Lavra still belongs to Governement, you
      won't find any monastc services in Uspensky Sobor,
      rather go to Trapeznaya Tserkov (monastic services
      for Great Feasts, with 2 full choirs) or to
      Exalatation of Cross Church (lower Lavra) for everyday
      monastic service. It's near the entrance to the Near
      Caves. Also usually there is moleben celebrated once a
      day in one the the Far Caves chapels. Ask which one
      and at what time. Only people who appear to monks
      interested in Orthodoxy and not curiosity are given an
      answer. If you go to Lava on a Feast Dayor Sunday,
      it's open for the faithfulls (free entrance) and
      closed to tourists, and you can have a real Orthodox
      Caves visit with other pilgrims.

      > > Thank you for the help,
      > Y're welcome, Father!
      > See also :
      > http://in-net.kiev.ua/
      >
      > > Father Basil Grisel

      Yahoo! Mail: votre e-mail personnel et gratuit qui vous suit partout !
      Créez votre adresse à http://mail.yahoo.fr