Re: [orthodox-synod] Odd Historical Question

  • Russell Martin
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 27, 2004
      Prostrations were not uncommon before Muscovite royalty for indigenous
      subjects of the ruler, even the boyar elite, but not especially so for
      foreign diplomats, who typically observed their own conventions about
      royal audiences (and whose conventions were tolerated, most times, by
      the Muscovites).

      If you have in mind the blessing by the hand (kissing the hand of a
      priest), then I am not aware of this as custom in the sixteenth and
      seventeenth centuries.

      It may not be on point, but I can add that even the most exalted
      servitors of the tsars called themselves "slaves" of the ruler (they
      said so and called themselves this in their written petitions). We have
      to be careful, though, not to take that literally.

      Usuage of names is interesting too. Middling level servitors (and
      everyone below) were addressed by the diminutive forms of their names,
      even in formal documents (Ivanshko instead of Ivan, or Mitya instead of
      Dimitrii). Servitors with a bit more rank earned the rights to the
      usage of the word "son of" (NOT a patronymic): so you can have Ivan
      Borisov syn Lodygin (that is, Ivan, the son of Boris Lodygin). Only the
      highest ranks had the right to a patronymic like the tsar had: Ivan
      Borisovich Lodygin.

      LOTS of things (more than most historians are willing to admit, really)
      derive from Church custom and practice, to be sure. The cut of regalia,
      e.g. But not, as far as I'm aware, greeting rituals.

      Russell (Roman) Martin

      Russell E. Martin
      Assoc. Professor of History
      Westminster College
      New Wilmington, PA 16172-0001
      phone: 724.946.6254
      fax: 724.946.7256
      webpage: http://www.westminster.edu/staff/martinre/
      other email: remartin@...
      >>> jmg@... 01/27/04 5:59 PM >>>
      Would anyone know the way royalty were greeted in Medieval Russia? I
      have
      my own deductions based on Church practice as Church practice was
      originally
      based on ecclesiastical practice, but if someone actually knows...