Slavonic recording of Liturgy and Vigil.

  • Peter Joshua Hatala
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 21, 2004
      I'm hoping someone might be able to direct me to good
      Slavonic recordings of the Divine Liturgy and All
      Night Vigil. I'm mostly looking to find recordings of
      arrangments that are usually heard in a parish of the
      Church Abroad.

      Thanks,
      Peter Hatala

      http://webhosting.yahoo.com/ps/sb/
    • boulia_1
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 22, 2004
        I can recommend the recording by the Synod cathedral choir of the
        All Night Vigil for the feast day of the Kursk-root icon, which
        includes the singing of ALL the stichera of that service. They are
        sung just as is always done on the feast, with a large mixed-voice
        choir and a male chorus. It's not, however, a "live" recording, so
        there are no litanies, no prokimenon, no gospel reading, etc.

        It's a little bit of a higher level than the average parish singing,
        but it's nice to listen to. You can get a copy from the Synod
        cathedral (they sell them at the candle stand; last I checked, the
        bookstore was sold out!)

        --elizabeth

        --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, Peter Joshua Hatala
        <pjhatala1@y...> wrote:
        > I'm hoping someone might be able to direct me to good
        > Slavonic recordings of the Divine Liturgy and All
        > Night Vigil. I'm mostly looking to find recordings of
        > arrangments that are usually heard in a parish of the
        > Church Abroad.
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Peter Hatala

        > http://webhosting.yahoo.com/ps/sb/
      • Hristofor
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 22, 2004
          Divine Liturgy of Tchaikovsky, performed by Kachanov and his Russian
          chroal group (contact me privately if you want me to look up the exact
          name of these CDs); this one should be availible over the net.

          The Buenos Airies commemorative CD has assorted typical ROCOR pieces
          (purchased in Synod I think)

          The synodal Kursky CD has great works from all-night vigil (gave my
          original away and couldn't get another one in Synod; had to buy it at St
          Vlad's Bookstore, of all places!)

          My all-time favourite is Rachmaninov's All-Night Vigil

          The Don Cossack/Sergej Zharov (alas only in LP format, to the best of my
          knowledge) was very typical of the OCA Slavonic Liturgies of my youth

          Of course, I think most choir directors use various composers for every
          Sunday use. I think it would be rare to attend an all-Tchaikovsky or
          all-Rachmaninov Liturgy.

          Hristofor

          Peter Joshua Hatala wrote:

          >I'm hoping someone might be able to direct me to good
          >Slavonic recordings of the Divine Liturgy and All
          >Night Vigil. I'm mostly looking to find recordings of
          >arrangments that are usually heard in a parish of the
          >Church Abroad.
          >
          >Thanks,
          >Peter Hatala

          >Yahoo! SiteBuilder - Free web site building tool. Try it!
          >http://webhosting.yahoo.com/ps/sb/

          >Yahoo! Groups Links
          >
          >To visit your group on the web, go to:

          > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • Semyanko, Con HS
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 22, 2004
            Hello Peter!

            Just a few ideas:

            1. Feodor Potojinsky - All-Night Vigil recording of the St Alexander Nevsky
            Cathedral (Paris) - on LP, also reissued on the Westminster Label in the
            70's

            2. A. Arkhangelsky: All-Night Vigil available at Musica Russica's CD Catalog
            available conducted by Ariadna Rybakova with Moscow Patriachate Choir.
            Many Russian Churches use Arkhangelsky's compositions as standards

            3. I just happened to hear "Divine Liturgy by the Russian Liturgical
            Singers" George Margitich, Conductor. I found it very well performed
            (despite old recording) and very simple singing, typical for many Russian
            Orthodox Churches.

            Constantine Semyanko

            I'm hoping someone might be able to direct me to good
            Slavonic recordings of the Divine Liturgy and All
            Night Vigil. I'm mostly looking to find recordings of
            arrangments that are usually heard in a parish of the
            Church Abroad.

            Thanks,
            Peter Hatala

            http://webhosting.yahoo.com/ps/sb/ <http://webhosting.yahoo.com/ps/sb/>

            <http://www.egroups.com/group/orthodox-synod>

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            <http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=12cleom54/M=243273.4326031.5516772.1261774/D=egroup
            web/S=1705074598:HM/EXP=1074862896/A=1750744/R=0/*http://servedby.advertisin
            g.com/click/site=552006/bnum=1074776496438538> Click to learn more...

            <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=243273.4326031.5516772.1261774/D=egroupmai
            l/S=:HM/A=1750744/rand=727186511>

            _____

            Yahoo! Groups Links

            <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

          • Valentina Grigorieva
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 24, 2004
              I have some CD's of Vigils and Liturgy (almost whole
              services) sung in church slavonic . They were recorded
              during european church music conferences. Repertoire
              is quite easy. You can alss find records of
              US/Canadian conferences (write to Peter Fekula at
              Ustav List, or to Alexander Ledkovsky? or
              Jordanville?), but often their choirs were split into
              several (male, female, mixed with different levels)
              and their repertoire was more difficult than the one
              we used for our European conferences, which is more
              like the ones used in parish that you sem to look for.
              I can send you copies if you wish (and give me your
              address)
              :-)
              Valentina Grigorieva from France
              --- "Semyanko, Con HS"
              <constantine.semyanko@...> a écrit : > Hello
              Peter!

              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 10, 2004
                Thanks to all who replied to this topic. I believe
                I've found what I was looking for.

                - Peter Hatala

                http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html