9972Re: A change of topic, please!

  • vkozyreff
    Jan 4, 2004
      Dear Father Stefan, bless.

      Considering the many hot confrontations that have taken place on this
      forum, I think it is appropriate to glorify God whenever, as now, we
      agree with one another in defending the purity of orthodoxy against
      those who attack it, in this particular case, our fellow Russian, the
      brilliant Tarkovsky.

      I think that this is more than just a social discussion about cinema.
      I do not want to take any undue advantage from agreeing with you
      about a film, but I am sure that if we were to scrap a little more
      the surface, we would find much deeper agreement than many would
      expect between many of us that consider themselves as antagonists of
      one another. May God help us to dig in that direction.

      As you, I am proud about the Russian creativity and scientific
      achievements. From what I found however, the Russian invention of
      aerostation, which would have taken place, by the way, much later
      than in Rubliev's time, about 50 years before the Montgolfier
      experiment, might be a forgery, as seen below. The Russian inventor
      might have been a German in fact. If it is so (I do not claim to have
      a final opinion on the subject), let us disseminate the news, as
      nothing can serve Russia better than the truth. She is sufficiently
      glorious on her own. In aeronautics, she might have to content
      herself with her sputniks, Tsiolkovsky, Sikorsky, Joukovsky, and a
      few others.

      http://aeroweb.lucia.it/~agretch/Features/1stStrtgcBmbrSq.html

      Unfortunately, in sciences as in spirituality, Russians have reached
      historical records both in lying and in proclaiming the truth. The
      Lyssenko affair (see below) is about one of the mot shameful deceits
      by Soviet scientists.

      It looks as though Russia can be only the best or the worst of all
      nations. In spite of all, she is our beloved country. Let us pray God
      that he help her to become only true.

      In God,

      Vladimir Kozyreff

      -----

      Aerostation

      In 1956 the book "Documents on the history of aeronautics and
      aircraft in the USSR " was published. In the chapter
      entitled "Aeronautics and aircraft in Russia until 1907", the story
      of Kryakutnoy, who allegedly first-ever travelled in a balloon is
      reported. This is given as the proof that the Russian were first in
      the field of aeronautics.

      Incidentally, the process that created this nonexistent character is
      well-known to the experts. As D.S. Likhachov reports, in the
      chronicle's text "in 1731 in Ryazan under voyevod "podyachy"
      nyeretkhtiets Kryakutnoy Furvin made a big balloon, inflated it with
      a nasty and smelly smoke", it could be established by photographic
      researches, that the word "nierekhtiets" is written on top of the
      word "niemiets" (German), and the surname "Kryakutnoy" covers the
      word "kreschenoy", as if to the surname "Furvin" a correction was
      made to the initial "Furtsel". Despite the protests by experts,
      Kryakutnoy continued his triumphal procession in the pages of the
      scientific and popular scientific literature until the last decade of
      the XXst century.

      Historical stories and mythology of the XXst century, Yury Shatin,
      The Novosibirsk state pedagogical university, Criticism and
      semiotics. May, 2002. pp. 100-108

      http://www.nsu.ru/education/virtual/cs5shatin.htm

      See also:

      http://www.utro.ru/column/2001082303201331381.shtml

      -----

      Scientific forgery in general, and Lyssenko specifically

      However, ideologies are not in themselves passive inert forms of
      consciousness but are part and parcel of practical and symbolic
      activities ; they federate interests, galvanize passions, permeate
      institutions and sometimes become official through State action.
      Consequently, their reaction to scientific news is often biased and
      is aimed at either confirming or refuting it. In extreme cases, as
      history has often shown, ideologies turn some items of information
      into dogma and declare war on others.

      The Lyssenko case is still the classic example of this. As, in the
      USSR of the middle of this century, " Mendel-Morgan genetics" were
      considered incompatible with Party and State philosophy, they were
      totally censored for nearly twenty years, with disastrous
      consequences in many fields....

      Ideologies thus emerge as very powerful selective distorting factors
      in the transmission of scientific news, the more so as they bias the
      judgement, not only of the public but also of journalists, and even
      in large measure that of many scientists...

      http://www.ccne-ethique.fr/english/avis/a_045p02.htm

      --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "Archpriest Stefan Pavlenko"
      <StefanVPavlenko@n...> wrote:
      > I thought it (the film about "Rubliev") was a blasphemy, and an
      > attempt to prove the triumph of "dvoe-veria" (mixture of pagan and
      > Christian faith) over Orthodoxy in Russia!
      > Archpriest Stefan Pavlenko
      >
      > PS: It is though, a historical FACT that it was a Russian who first
      > flew in the air in a Lighter that air/hot air balloon!!!
      >

      > --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "vkozyreff"
      > <vladimir.kozyreff@s...> wrote:
      > > Dear List,
      > >
      > > Speaking about Tarkovsky's Rubliov, I am not sure the film is
      really
      > > orthodox. It is certainly not historical. If I remember, the
      script
      > > goes that monk Andreï Roublev is chosen to paint frescos in a
      > > cathedral, but he is disturbed by the subject: he cannot admit
      that
      > > God takes revenge on his creatures at the dread Judgement. Moved
      by
      > > the faith of original Christianity, he believes in a God of love
      and
      > > of pardon, and this condemns him to loneliness and doubt.
      > >
      > > I do not think that Tarkovsky had a good knowledge of what
      monachism
      > > and orthodoxy are about. Who told him that the Church did teach
      the
      > > vision against which his Rubliov struggled? Who told him that
      > > believing in a God of love threw him, an orthodox monk, into
      > > loneliness? The MP?
      > >
      > > In fact, this film was not totally disagreeable to the regime, as
      it
      > > gave a negative idea of the Church and presented Rubliev as a
      kind of
      > > protestant in rebellion against the Church and composing his
      personal
      > > orthodoxy. Considering that Rubliov painted among the most
      beautiful
      > > and most orthodox icons and frescoes, the film, whatever the
      talent
      > > of the author is almost a sacrilege. Please, Messrs. the non-
      orthodox
      > > film directors, keep your hands off orthodoxy before you convert.
      > >
      > > As you know, the regime was an expert in managing "dissidence" to
      its
      > > benefit (Vysotsky, Akhudjava, etc.)
      > >
      > > I confess that I saw the film a very long time ago, but the scent
      of
      > > it was very little orthodox and very much soviet in my memory.
      > >
      > > In God,
      > >
      > > Vladimir Kozyreff
      > >

      > > --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, Gerald Herrin
      > > <geraldherrin@e...> wrote:
      > > > I am pleased to answer this, or at least give my opinion:
      > > >
      > > > 1) The Northern Thebaid: Monastic Saints of the Russian North
      > > > 2) Early Fathers from the Philokalia, translated by E.
      Kadloubovsky
      > > and
      > > > G.E,H. Palmer
      > > > 3) Any of the biographies of the Optina Elders
      > > > 4) Dostoevsky.... Crime and Punishment, The Demons, and the
      > > Brothers
      > > > Karamazov
      > > > 5) Gibbon's Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire (not Orthodox,
      of
      > > > course, but still one of the finest histories of the later
      Roman
      > > Empire
      > > > in English)
      > > > 6) Saint Augustine's Confessions
      > > > 7) and could I watch Andrei Tarkovsky's Andrei Rublev and
      Fellini's
      > > La
      > > > Strada on this desert island?
      > > >
      > > > My suggestions for myself ....