9961Re: maximum list

  • vkozyreff
    Jan 1, 2004
      Dera List,

      It is odd to put Chekhov and Dostoyevsky in the came class. Chekhov's
      pessimism is viewed by many in Russia as the illness of society that
      paved the way to communism and atheism. In that sense, he is very
      Russian, but very sick and very little orthodox. According to a very
      unorthodox writer, Berdyaev, the Church is responsible. Alkexis II
      thinks so too, apparently.

      For those who struggled for their faith in the USSR, Chekhov was not
      really supportive. Since the battle is not over, I would not
      recommend Chekhov's works about senseless life as an item for the
      survival library.

      "Reflecting on the causes of the collapse of old Russia, we realise
      that the entire Russian Church bears the burden of responsibility for
      what happened to our beloved country and our people who proved to
      have had insufficient immunity against the pernicious false
      teachings..." (Patriarch Alexy II of Moscow and All Russia: An Appeal
      to Metropolitan Laurus and the Bishops' Council of the Russian
      Orthodox Church Outside of Russia).

      "Despite its pessimism Anton Chekhov's (1860-1904) work conveys man's
      capacity to love his neighbor. Although he sees life as senseless, he
      also recognizes in man the capacity to strive for perfection and the
      ability for self renunciation. Unfortunately, part of the blame for
      the senselessness which Chekhov and more radical writers saw in life
      must fall on the Russian Church. As Berdyaev observed, the Church
      often "relegated spiritual life to another and transcendent world and
      created a religion for the soul that was homesick for the spiritual
      life it had lost." Confusion in the proclamation of the church's
      message brought confusion to the spiritual content of literature".
      http://www.goarch.org/en/ourfaith/articles/article7111.asp

      In God,

      Vladimir Kozyreff

      --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "podnoss" <podnoss@y...> wrote:

      > Well, I'll give you my opinion.
      >
      > Anything by Dostoyevsky or Chekhov. Specifically Chekhov's "The
      > Bishop" & Dostoyevsky's "Crime & Punishment".
      >

      > --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "Justin Griffing" <jmg@j...>
      > wrote:
      > > In no particular order:
      > >
      > > The Psalter
      > > The Old Orthodox Prayerbook
      > > The Sayings of the Desert Fathers
      > > Orthodox Faith and Life in Christ (if for no other reason than to
      > remember my patron)
      > > The Northern Thebaid
      > > The Serbian Patericon
      > > Lives of the Monastery Builders of Holy Mt. Athos
      > > Ladder of Divine Ascent
      > > Way of the Ascetics
      > > Unseen Warfare
      > >
      > > In Christ,