9959Re: A change of topic, please!

  • vkozyreff
    Dec 31, 2003
      Dear List,

      Speaking about Tarkovsky's Rubliov, I am not sure the film is really
      orthodox. It is certainly not historical. If I remember, the script
      goes that monk Andreï Roublev is chosen to paint frescos in a
      cathedral, but he is disturbed by the subject: he cannot admit that
      God takes revenge on his creatures at the dread Judgement. Moved by
      the faith of original Christianity, he believes in a God of love and
      of pardon, and this condemns him to loneliness and doubt.

      I do not think that Tarkovsky had a good knowledge of what monachism
      and orthodoxy are about. Who told him that the Church did teach the
      vision against which his Rubliov struggled? Who told him that
      believing in a God of love threw him, an orthodox monk, into
      loneliness? The MP?

      In fact, this film was not totally disagreeable to the regime, as it
      gave a negative idea of the Church and presented Rubliev as a kind of
      protestant in rebellion against the Church and composing his personal
      orthodoxy. Considering that Rubliov painted among the most beautiful
      and most orthodox icons and frescoes, the film, whatever the talent
      of the author is almost a sacrilege. Please, Messrs. the non-orthodox
      film directors, keep your hands off orthodoxy before you convert.

      As you know, the regime was an expert in managing "dissidence" to its
      benefit (Vysotsky, Akhudjava, etc.)

      I confess that I saw the film a very long time ago, but the scent of
      it was very little orthodox and very much soviet in my memory.

      In God,

      Vladimir Kozyreff

      --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, Gerald Herrin
      <geraldherrin@e...> wrote:
      > I am pleased to answer this, or at least give my opinion:
      > 1) The Northern Thebaid: Monastic Saints of the Russian North
      > 2) Early Fathers from the Philokalia, translated by E. Kadloubovsky
      > G.E,H. Palmer
      > 3) Any of the biographies of the Optina Elders
      > 4) Dostoevsky.... Crime and Punishment, The Demons, and the
      > Karamazov
      > 5) Gibbon's Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire (not Orthodox, of
      > course, but still one of the finest histories of the later Roman
      > in English)
      > 6) Saint Augustine's Confessions
      > 7) and could I watch Andrei Tarkovsky's Andrei Rublev and Fellini's
      > Strada on this desert island?
      > My suggestions for myself ....
      > Isaac (Gerald) Herrin
      > On Tuesday, December 30, 2003, at 09:45 AM, Olga wrote:
      > > Therefore, I propose a change of topic:
      > > If you were stuck on a desert island, besides the Gospel, of
      > > which Orthodox books would you want to have with you? The ones
      > > you find particularly close to your heart, the most inspiring, the
      > > most enlightening, the most moving!
      > Gerald Herrin
      > geraldherrin@e...
    • Show all 28 messages in this topic