9552Re: Synodal Cathedral feastday

  • cantor71
    Nov 28, 2003
      It would seem that things are different this year because the feast
      falls in the course of the week when there will be first the All-
      diaspora meeting and then the session Council of Bishops. Surely
      there will be a greater influx of clergy and worshippers than usual,
      and a geater amount of work is required to arrange such a banquet.
      I would also venture to add that a gathering of this importance
      requires a special banquet.

      I recall in the days when I used to spend more time in New York -
      this would be the 70s and 80s - I attended a number of banquets in
      rather upscale locations in honour of, as on example, the 10th
      anniversary of Metropolitan Philaret's election as First Hierarch.
      The tickets then -in 1975! - cost $50. Did this also have something
      to do with lack of love or sharing different hopes and dreams? No,
      it had to do with it being a festive occasion. Besides, NYC isn't
      cheap! If you have ever tried to arrange something at a decent
      location, you know that $100 is not unreasonable.

      George