9107Re: [orthodox-synod] Re: chrismated priests?

  • michael nikitin
    Sep 18, 2003
      If he was baptized by Archimandrite Vitaly(Maximenko),what Church did he
      belong to prior to being baptized?

      Michael N.

      stefanvpavlenko <StefanVPavlenko@...> wrote:
      Many relatives of Metropolitan Lavr were indeed Uniate, due to the
      historical conditions that dominated that part of the world.
      Metropolitan Lavr was baptized by Archimandrite (later Archbishop)
      Vitaly (Maximenko) a Russian Orthodox monk from the Holy Monastery of
      Pochaev who founded the St. Iov (Job) of Pochaev Brotherhood in
      Vladomirovo (Ladomirovo), in Carpathorussia. Metropolitan Lavr was
      never a Uniate!
      Archpriest Stefan Pavlenko

      --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "sophia_proskoumen"
      <sophia_proskoumen@e...> wrote:
      > > ordained. Was he not "Orthodox enough" to be ordained? Metropolitan
      > > Laurus has told me that if someone has been received by chrismation
      > > and has been receiving Holy Communion, it is not proper to go back
      > > and baptize them since they have already been living an Orthodox life.
      >
      > Metropolitan Laurus was never baptised in the Orthodox Church ... he
      > was born a Uniate and baptised (by triple immersion) in a church that
      > commerated the pope of Rome and was received into the Orthodox Church
      > without baptism.
      >
      > Many times in the Church's history this was common practise. In the
      > RUssian Church before the revolution Latin and Anglican priests were
      > received without not only being re-baptised, but without being
      > re-ordained. The ritual was that they stood on the cliros until after
      > the Grwat Enterance, when they were led through the royal doors and
      > vested.
      >
      > The Church in her economy has had a great variety of practises. Those
      > critisising what they don't like would do well to study Church history
      > or seek a blessing from a spiritual father before taking it on
      > themselves to interpret the Holy Canons or to judge the Church or her
      > Hierarchs!

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT