9097Re: chrismated priests?

  • stefanvpavlenko
    Sep 16, 2003
      Many relatives of Metropolitan Lavr were indeed Uniate, due to the
      historical conditions that dominated that part of the world.
      Metropolitan Lavr was baptized by Archimandrite (later Archbishop)
      Vitaly (Maximenko) a Russian Orthodox monk from the Holy Monastery of
      Pochaev who founded the St. Iov (Job) of Pochaev Brotherhood in
      Vladomirovo (Ladomirovo), in Carpathorussia. Metropolitan Lavr was
      never a Uniate!
      Archpriest Stefan Pavlenko

      --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "sophia_proskoumen"
      <sophia_proskoumen@e...> wrote:
      > > ordained. Was he not "Orthodox enough" to be ordained? Metropolitan
      > > Laurus has told me that if someone has been received by chrismation
      > > and has been receiving Holy Communion, it is not proper to go back
      > > and baptize them since they have already been living an Orthodox life.
      > Metropolitan Laurus was never baptised in the Orthodox Church ... he
      > was born a Uniate and baptised (by triple immersion) in a church that
      > commerated the pope of Rome and was received into the Orthodox Church
      > without baptism.
      > Many times in the Church's history this was common practise. In the
      > RUssian Church before the revolution Latin and Anglican priests were
      > received without not only being re-baptised, but without being
      > re-ordained. The ritual was that they stood on the cliros until after
      > the Grwat Enterance, when they were led through the royal doors and
      > vested.
      > The Church in her economy has had a great variety of practises. Those
      > critisising what they don't like would do well to study Church history
      > or seek a blessing from a spiritual father before taking it on
      > themselves to interpret the Holy Canons or to judge the Church or her
      > Hierarchs!
    • Show all 10 messages in this topic