9059Re: [orthodox-synod] Re: chrismated priests?

  • StephenATL
    Sep 5, 2003
      Bless, Father Peter;

      While I would agree with what you have just stated, I would quickly
      point out that Blessed Hieromonk Seraphim would most certainly now say
      that he was received incorrectly and that he and Met. Laurus would both
      say that full Orthodox triple-immersion should be the norm. And for the
      peace of mind of the convert, would most likely allow the "completion"
      of their reception into the Holy Orthodox Church by baptism, if done in
      a discreet manner and that all understood that it was simply the
      completion of a Holy Mystery that was done improperly (because in
      Orthodoxy, baptism and chrismation should never be separated), and was
      now simply being completed.

      Stephanos

      frpeterjackson wrote:

      > --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "jechenaudrey"
      > <jechenaudrey@y...> wrote:
      > > Hello, can Orthodox Christians received by chrismation only be
      > > ordained as priests or must they be baptized by triple immersion
      > > before ordination? Nicholas
      >
      > Hieromonk Seraphim (Rose) of Platina was received by chrismation and
      > later ordained to the priesthood. I have never heard anything about
      > him having to be baptized *after* his chrismation so that he could be
      > ordained. Was he not "Orthodox enough" to be ordained? Metropolitan
      > Laurus has told me that if someone has been received by chrismation
      > and has been receiving Holy Communion, it is not proper to go back
      > and baptize them since they have already been living an Orthodox life.
      >
      > Priest Peter Jackson
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
      > <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=243273.3844966.5093337.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705074598:HM/A=1750744/R=0/SIG=12955lvle/*http://servedby.advertising.com/click/site=552006/bnum=1062770530757823>

      > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.