8556Re: Fundamental Question

  • vkozyreff
    Jun 5, 2003
      "If you are helpless to defend the Church, step aside; clear the
      space for someone stronger than you." St. Peter, Metropolitan of
      Krutitsk (d. 1936), (Locum Tenens of the Patriarchate), Letter to
      Metropolitan Sergei, 1930

      Dear Father Anthony, bless.

      I think you raised a very interesting point. We are not claiming that
      the MP is graceless because of its sins or unworthiness in general,
      but because of the nature of the sins and unworthiness that we are
      talking about. Heresy, schism, and attack of the faith and of the
      Church, preclude grace of those who practice or accept them.

      "This pseudo-church has been twice anathematised. His Holiness
      Patriarch Tikhon and the All-Russian Church Sobor anathematised the
      Communists and all their collaborators. This dread anathema has not
      been lifted till this day and remains in force, since it can only be
      lifted by a similar All-Russian Church Sobor ...
      "When Metropolitan Sergius promulgated his criminal Declaration, then
      the faithful children of the Church immediately separated themselves
      from the Soviet church, and thus the Catacomb Church was formed. And
      she, in her turn, has anathematised the official church for its
      betrayal of Christ." Metropolitan Philaret (Voznesensky) (d. 1985)

      Assuming even that the MP "has grace" in spite of certain sins (that
      would be the case of ROCOR as well), the MP is nevertheless anathema,
      schismatic and heretic, which is a good case for gracelessness. In
      addition, heretic bishops are pseudo-bishops, which does not simplify
      the matter of reunion with them.

      Anathema, schism and heresy need not have been proclaimed by ROCOR to
      be real or to be acknowledged by her. As long as we are not
      schismatic, and still part of the Russian Orthodox Church, and did
      not rescind anathema proclaimed by other parts of the Russian
      Orthodox Church, we acknowledge the decisions of the Orthodox Church
      taken before or after ROCOR was created.

      In God,

      Vladimir Kozyreff

      --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "Fr. Anthony Nelson"
      <fr.anthony@o...> wrote:
      > "Fr. George Primak" <primaks@t...> wrote:
      >
      > >Dear Fr. Alexander,
      > >Please explain to me how a KGB officer who was made bishop not to
      serve God
      > >but the satanic regime can have grace and all those who served
      with him?

      > I don't presume to answer for Fr. Alexander, but I can answer as an
      > Orthodox Priest: the worthiness and/or sinfulness of the one
      ordained does
      > not determine the Grace of the Mysteries served by that clergyman.
      > believe otherwise is heresy condemned by the Church. For myself, I
      shudder
      > to think that the Priestly ministrations I perform should be Grace-
      filled
      > or empty, depending on my worthiness or sinfulness.
      >
      > Fr. Anthony

      *
      > Fr. Anthony Nelson * Emergency Cell Phone Email:
      > St. Benedict Russian Orthodox Church * Up to 160 characters maximum
      > Oklahoma City, OK USA 405-672-1441 * total allowed including
      return
      > mailto:fr.anthony@o... * address and Subject headers.
      > http://www.orthodox.org/stbenedict/ * mailto:fra-mobile@o...
    • Show all 117 messages in this topic