8321Re: St Georges Church Feast Day Celebration!!

  • klandsberg
    May 1, 2003
      Peter,
      Voistinu Voskrese! Thank you for posting the news about the services
      to take place at St. George's. For those who have not been there, it
      is a beautiful small church and pictures of it can be seen in _Howell
      and Farmingdale: A Social and Cultural History_, part of the "Images
      of America" series. Even though it is not technically old enough to
      be a historical landmark, it is considered by town historians to be
      significant, as the Cossack and Russian settlement in Howell are
      considered an important part of local history. The Cossack Museum is
      also definitely worth seeing.

      Kirill, Peter has posted this message to a ROCOR list, and so I don't
      think there is anything in his invitation that suggests clergy of
      other jurisdictions will be there. It is common practice in central
      New Jersey for clergy to serve at one another's churches on the
      churches' feast days, especially when they are celebrated on
      weekdays. There are a number of ROCOR churches within one hour's
      driving distance from this one, and there is another Cossack church
      in southern NJ whose clergy might be interested in coming. Therefore,
      I hope this dispels and suspicions you may have about the event.

      Thanks again to Peter for his announcement.
      Katya

      --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, Kiril Bart <kirbart@y...>
      wrote:
      > To what local clergy you are extending your hand? From your wording
      it is not so obvious. Would RC, OCA, MP etc. be included?Curious
      subdeacon Kirill

      > Peter Okopny <peter.okopny@w...> wrote:Hristos Voskrese!!!
      >
      > I would like to wish everyone a wonderful Happy Easter!
      >

      > Secondly, with his blessing Protopresbyter Valery Lukianov, I would
      like to invite everyone to a great holiday of celebrating Saint
      George's Day at St Georges Russian Orthodox Church located in
      Freewood Acres, north of St Alexander Nevsky's Church on Route 9
      Lakewood, NJ. This celebration will start at 9:30am on Tuesday May
      6th with Liturgy, following afterwards a procession around the church
      and a lunch located in the Kuban Cossack Museum. This service will be
      the first in 2 years since Very Memorable Fr Stefan Trubiloff has
      passed away. There is much work going on to restore the church at
      least inside before the holiday, so please support us by honoring us
      with your presence. I know that it is a working day but at least if
      some of you know of people living close by can tell them about this
      great holiday then they can come and put your name in to be
      remembered during the service. Also since this is a great Cossack
      holiday the museum located adjacent to the church will be opened for
      all to view the incredible collection of Cossack history starting
      form the Tsars to the White Army.

      > Furthermore, I extend my hand further to all local clergy to come
      and serve. One can find a detailed map under Freewood Acres, NJ on
      MapQuest. The church is on 3rd & Frederick Street (near exit 29B on
      195 & Rt 9).

      > Hope to see you all there, and if possible a small donation will be
      greatly appreciated to help restore the church (info on donations
      will be provided later).

      > Any questions please don't hesitate to email me.
      >

      > Faithful unto Christ,
      >
      > Peter Okopny (Kuban Cossack)

      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      Service.