7561Re: [orthodox-synod] Re: Pray!!! Help Esphigmenou

  • Fr. Gregory Williams
    Feb 2, 2003
      To the best of my knowledge, no one has ever suggested that anyone be
      "forced to convert". The issue, and really the only issue, is whether the
      Church's blessing can appropriately be bestowed upon marital union between
      an Orthodox Christian and a heretic. If two people choose to live in such a
      union, that's their business (and the Lord's). The fact that it has been
      done and is being done does not wipe away the question, any more than the
      fact that people _have_ been united to the Church (even if inappropriately)
      with baptism, without chrismation, wipes away the question as to whether it
      is ever appropriate for someone from a heretical confession to be received
      into the Church other than by baptism (our bishops in a decree which has
      been published a couple of times in Living Orthodoxy, said it is not, even
      if it might have been at times in the past).
    • Show all 22 messages in this topic