7555Re: Extremism, Esphigmenou, Mixed Marriages, RC 'church'

  • luke padgett <boepad@msn.com>
    Feb 1, 2003
      --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, StephenATL <sbu@b...> wrote:

      > 1. Roman Catholics are NOT Christians............ they are HERETICS!

      Baloney, Stephanos. Don't you know that heretics come from the
      Church? And if they aren't Christians you'd better confess your sin
      because the apostolic faith is not to judge the world. "For the time
      has come for judgment to begin at the house of God.."

      > ROMAN Catholicism is so far from genuine Christianity that it can
      > be called nothing less than a heresy, and has been so named by many
      > Church Councils and Holy Fathers!

      All the more reason to "let us reason together" with them, to bring
      them to the truth. What happened to going into all the world and
      preaching the gospel to "every creature?"

      > The Fathers and Saint of the Church constantly warn us about even
      > talking with heretics and worldly people......... knowing that no
      > matter how strong our faith and knowledge of the faith is, in a
      > moment of weakness and/or doubt they could lead us astray, or at
      > least start us questioning our faith.

      If it is not of God, they can't do it. Remember the promises. Have
      faith.

      > SINCERE, HONEST discussions with Roman Catholics, with a goal of
      > reuniting them to the Faith would be good.

      That's true ecumenism. False ecumenism is indeed heretical. But true
      ecumenism is gospel. Let us not give way to fear! For the zealot
      monks to tell their patriarch that he can't talk to heretics lest
      they won't acknowledge him seems to me to be unacceptable. I don't
      believe it's true to Orthodox Christianity. It's not the way to go.
      And the ROCOR should know all too well the dangers of a schismatic
      spirit.

      Save, O Lord, and have mercy on the holy Eastern Orthodox patriarchs,
      most reverend metropolitans, Orthodox archbishops and bishops, and
      all the priestly and monastic order, and all who serve in the Church,
      whom Thou hast appointed to shepherd Thy rational flock, and through
      their prayers have mercy and save me, a sinner.

      Love, luke
    • Show all 6 messages in this topic