7414Re: Respect for Fellow Orthodox (Formally Disdain)

  • vkozyreff <vladimir.kozyreff@skynet.be>
    Jan 12, 2003
      Dear Bojan,

      This is already some information.

      In God,

      Vladimir Kozyreff

      Prayer for Peace in Bosnia-Hercegovina Assisi 1993

      While the World Day of Prayer for Peace in 1986 was global in its
      perspectives, the "Assisi Day of Prayer for Peace in Bosnia-
      Hercegovina" in 1993 focused on one part of Europe.14 It resulted
      from an appeal jointly made at the height of the tragic war in the
      former Yugoslavia by Pope John Paul II and the Presidents of European
      (Catholic) Episcopal Conferences on December 1, 1992, first of all to
      the Catholic churches of Europe from which the predominent number of
      participants came.

      The appeal was issued at the same time to other churches and
      Christian communities of Europe and also to Jews and Muslims.15 The
      Pope invited specifically leaders of the Churches and Religions in
      Bosnia-Hercegovina, most directly affected by the war including the
      Serbian Orthodox Church, and the Catholic Church, and also Muslim
      leaders of that area. Christians, Muslims and Jews came from various
      parts of Europe and beyond.

      The purpose of this event according to the Pope was "to meet
      together . . . to reflect on peace in Europe especially in the
      Balkans, and to pray".16 Invitations were addressed he said to "three
      great religious traditions present for centuries on this continent,
      and to the slow formation of which . . . all three have made their
      contribution and are making it still: Jews, Christians,
      Muslims".17

      He then reflected on the ecumenical contribution of religions to a
      better world order: "We are now being asked to contribute in a
      specific way, with our prayers and the offering of our fast, to the
      rebuilding of the continent of Europe, and perhaps to its
      survival . . ." .18

      The meeting was called at short notice because of the devastation and
      tragedy unfolding in the war in the former Yugoslavia. The
      predominant number of participants came from the Catholic Churches of
      Europe and therefore the main service on Sunday, January 10th was a
      Mass. The ecumenical aspect took place on Saturday evening January
      9th.

      Ecumenical participants included representatives of the Orthodox
      Patriarchate of Romania, a Bishop from the Old Catholic Church in the
      Netherlands, the Anglican Archbishop of York, a Methodist district
      leader from England a Representative of the Lutheran World
      Federation, as well as representatives of the Lutheran churches of
      Sweden and Finland, a Reformed pastor from the Federation of
      Protestant Churches in Switzerland, and a Lutheran Bishop
      representing the Conference of European Churches.

      No one from the Serbian Orthodox Church was able to come, but
      Patriarch Pavle of that Church sent a letter to the Pope, part of
      which was read at the ecumenical service. The Ecumenical Patriarch of
      Constantinople also sent a letter which was read. Those of other
      religions included some Jews and a large representation of Muslims
      from Bosnia-Hercegovina, and elsewhere.

      The ecumenical aspect had two parts: first, testimonies. Then
      secondly, prayer. To provide testimonies of those touched by the war,
      an ecumenical and interreligious delegation from the Balkans had been
      invited to give first hand witness to the suffering of people and the
      irrationality of war.19 Testimonies were given among others by a
      Catholic sister from Banja Luka, a woman from Mostar, the Archbishop
      of Sarajevo, a leader of the Islamic Center in Sarajevo, and the
      Cardinal Archbishop from Zagreb, Croatia.

      No Serbian was present to give a testimony, but in the extract of the
      message sent by the Serbian Orthodox Patriarch Pavle which was read
      in the ecumenical service that followed, the Patriarch expressed his
      joy that this common prayer service was being organized in Assisi,
      assured the Pope that "we shall also on that day, as on every day of
      God, be in communion with you in prayer for peace and the salvation
      of all"20 and indicated that he would afterwards send a delegation of
      his Church to Rome, which he did .21

      www.globaleduc.org/radano.htm

      A Pan Christian Event

      The new millennium began with a pan-Christian celebration on January
      25, 2001, at the Basilica of St. Paul's Outside the Walls in Rome. A
      celebration of the Word of God was presided over by Pope John Paul II
      and attended by delegations from almost all the Orthodox churches,
      the Ancient Churches of the East, and the Christian communions of the
      West.

      This common prayer was a sign of a common effort by the churches and
      ecclesial communities to proceed into the future together in order to
      announce Christ as "the way, the truth, and the life" (Jn 14:6).
      On the Orthodox side, the following delegations were present: the
      Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople; the Patriarchates of
      Alexandria, Antioch, Moscow, Serbia, …

      http://www.usccb.org/seia/chdialog.pdf

      --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "Bojan Mitich" <sdk@E...>
      wrote:
      > Vladimir Kozyreff wrote:
      >
      > >> Address of the Serbian Patriarch Pavle to the Pope of Rome: « We
      > cordially thank you for your kind invitation to come to Assisi on
      > January 19, 1993, in order to address our Lord in a common
      prayer ...
      > You communicated to us that this prayer will be attended by
      > representatives from the Roman Church and from other European
      > confessions, as well as by representatives from Islam and other
      great
      > religions ... You can be assured, Your Holiness, that during this
      > day, given by God, we will be in communion of prayer with You ...»
      <<'

      > Dear Vladimir,
      >
      > Could you please tell me the exact source of this quote.
      >
      > Bojan
    • Show all 44 messages in this topic