      From: Fr. John R. Shaw
      To: orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com ; orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Thursday, January 02, 2003 7:32 AM
      Subject: Re: [orthodox-synod] Re: TELLING THE TRUTH IS DANGEROUS...

      Paul Bartlett wrote:

      > Just from a brief membership in these two mailing lists ("synod"
      > and "rocor") I am beginning to wonder if there is so much contention
      > that if God does guide me back to Orthodox Christianity then I wonder
      > where I will hang my hat. I was orginally baptized at Holy
      > Transfiguration Monastery, which then under the ROCOR but is now under
      > some other jurisdiction. All this wrangling in American Orthodoxy is
      > becoming very discouraging. Maybe I should just stay where I now am
      > (which is outside Christianity entirely).

      Let me point out that the impression one gets from these e-mail lists
      is very much skewed. "All this wrangling" is the work of a very small
      handful of people; they are heard from here, but not too much anywhere
      else (though HTM would be the exception, as it has been wrangling since
      1986).

      However, the sad truth is that "all this" has driven many people away
      from Orthodoxy and the Church over the years, who had been thinking of
      joining or returning.

      My recommendation is to visit an actual parish, rather than going only
      by what you read here...

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor