7103Re: Dealing with Heresy -- A Historical Perspective

  • sergerust2002 <sergerust@hotmail.com>
    Dec 13, 2002
      Fr Alexander (Lebedeff) wrote:

      > how in the world could you and your people say, as they did,
      > again and again, that the "majority" of the clergy
      > of the Western-European Diocese broke with Bishop Amvrossy?

      Well, your arithmetic is mistaken, father.

      The 2 Castelbajacs broke with bishop Amvrossy – this was the very
      matter discussed – still you count them on "your side".

      Moreover, 2 other priests – not mentioned at all in your count
      – left communion with vl. Lavr and joined vl. Varnava / Met.
      Vitaly, but somehow you want to hide the matter to the List.

      Last but not least, you count priest Adrian Eschevarria among the
      ecclesiastically correct.

      How come ?

      I thought he had been banned, together with priest Paul Tsvetkov
      (who, subsequently repented) as a result of their public letter of
      October 1/14 2000 (1)

      Serge Rust

      (1) It might be worth reading this public and instructive letter:

      Geneva, October 1/14, 2000

      Dear parishioners,

      On the eve of the XXth century, our parish is at a turning point of
      its existence.

      Many persons among the responsible parish organs expressed their wish
      on one hand not to stay away anymore from the ecclesial renewal in
      the Russian Church (to which our community is historically linked)
      and, on the other hand, to be able to fully commune with the orthodox
      pleroma from now on.

      the Parish Council to join the Church of Russia, we very recently
      received a proposal of His Holiness Alexis 2, Patriarch of Moscow and
      of all Russia, to receive us in the bosom of the Moscow Patriarchate,
      and to grant to our Parish the stavropigical status, i.e. of total
      administrative and financial independence. The building and the goods
      of our church will not be alienated by an external power, and the
      members of the clergy will keep their posts.

      The Parish Council, nearly in its entirety, finds it opportune to
      answer favorably to this proposal. It is time, indeed, that mistrust,
      ignorance and resentment give place to confidence, comprehension and
      love in Christ.

      We are conscious that some of you will be shocked, or even indignant,
      by this perspective. Alas, the recent positions taken by the ROCOR
      Synod of Bishops do not leave us other choices if we want to remain
      members of the universal Orthodox Church.

      We wish however to consult you. You will find attached a
      "Reminder of the main events of the Russian Orthodox Church since
      the
      reestablishment of the Patriarchate in 1917". With this
      information, you are kindly invited to express your opinion in
      written, in Russian or in French, and to mail it to us before October
      31, at the Chancellery of the church (Fr Paul or fr Adrain, Russian
      orthodox church, 18 Baumont street, 1206 Geneva). Your personal
      notice will be read only by your priests, who will draw an anonymous
      synthesis.

      May our Lord ... by the intercession of ... by the prayers of ...
      bless you and grant you the wisdom so that we may do the right choice.

      Priest Adrien Echevarria Archpriest Paul Tzvetkoff
    • Show all 44 messages in this topic