6283RE: [orthodox-synod] Off-Topic: I Hate Windows XP

  • Elias Gorsky
    Sep 4, 2002
      Father Alexander, try some of the following, particularly enable boot
      logging; also look at the event log in administrative tools:

      Safe mode startup options
      If your computer will not start, you may be able to start it in safe mode.
      In safe mode, Windows 2000 uses default settings (VGA monitor, Microsoft
      mouse driver, no network connections, and the minimum device drivers
      required to start Windows).

      For example, if your computer will not start after you install new software,
      you may be able to start it with minimal services in safe mode and then
      change your computer settings or remove the newly installed software that is
      causing the problem. You can reinstall the service pack or the entire
      operating system, if necessary.

      If a symptom does not reappear when you start in safe mode, you can
      eliminate the default settings and minimum device drivers as possible
      causes.

      The safe mode options are:

      Safe Mode

      Starts Windows 2000 using only basic files and drivers (mouse, except serial
      mice; monitor; keyboard; mass storage; base video; default system services;
      and no network connections). If your computer does not start successfully
      using safe mode, you may need to use the Emergency Repair Disk (ERD) feature
      to repair your system.

      Safe Mode with Networking

      Starts Windows 2000 using only basic files and drivers, plus network
      connections.

      Safe Mode with Command Prompt

      Starts Windows 2000 using only basic files and drivers. After logging on,
      the command prompt is displayed instead of the Windows desktop, Start menu,
      and Taskbar.

      Enable Boot Logging

      Starts Windows 2000 while logging all the drivers and services that were
      loaded (or not loaded) by the system to a file. This file is called
      ntbtlog.txt and it is located in the %windir% directory. Safe Mode, Safe
      Mode with Networking, and Safe Mode with Command Prompt add to the boot log
      a list of all the drivers and services that are loaded. The boot log is
      useful in determining the exact cause of system startup problems.

      Enable VGA Mode

      Starts Windows 2000 using the basic VGA driver. This mode is useful when you
      have installed a new driver for your video card that is causing Windows 2000
      not to start properly. The basic video driver is always used when you start
      Windows 2000 in Safe Mode (either Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Networking, or
      Safe Mode with Command Prompt).

      Last Known Good Configuration

      Starts Windows 2000 using the registry information that Windows saved at the
      last shutdown. Use only in cases of incorrect configuration. Last known good
      configuration does not solve problems caused by corrupted or missing drivers
      or files. Also, any changes made since the last successful startup will be
      lost.

      Directory Service Restore Mode

      Not applicable for Windows 2000 Professional. This is for the Windows 2000
      Server operating system and is only used in restoring the SYSVOL directory
      and the Active Directory directory service on a domain controller.

      Debugging Mode

      Starts Windows 2000 while sending debug information through a serial cable
      to another computer.

      If you are using, or have used, Remote Install Services to install Windows
      2000 on your computer, you may see additional options related to restoring
      or recovering your system using Remote Install Services.

      Related Topics