6046Triple Filter

  • frmarkg
    Jul 19, 2002
      Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 12:28:04 EDT
      Sender: Orthodox Christianity <orthodox@...>
      From: "Mr. Vincent Niemann" <GreekOrthodoxTV@...>
      Subject: New Rules For This List.

      One day an acquaintance met the great philosopher Socrates and
      said, "Do you know what I just heard about your friend?"

      "Hold on a minute," Socrates replied. "Before telling me anything
      I'd like you to pass a little test. It's called the Triple Filter
      Test."

      "Triple filter?"

      "That's right," Socrates continued. "Before you talk to me about
      my friend it might be a good idea to take a moment and filter what
      you're going to say.

      That's why I call it the triple filter test. The first filter
      is Truth. Have you made absolutely sure that what you are about
      to tell me is true?"

      "No," the man said, "actually I just heard about it and..."

      "All right," said Socrates. "So you don't really know if it's
      true or not. Now let's try the second filter, the filter of
      goodness. Is what you are about to tell me about my friend
      something good?"

      "No, on the contrary..."

      "So," Socrates continued, "you want to tell me something bad
      about him, but you're not certain it's true. You may still pass
      the test though, because there's one filter left: the filter of
      usefulness. Is what you want to tell me about my friend going to
      be useful to me?"

      "No, not really."

      "Well," concluded Socrates, "if what you want to tell me is
      neither true nor good nor even useful, why tell it to me at
      all?"
    • Show all 27 messages in this topic