6045Sergius a simple monk in 1926?

  • joeswaydyn2000
    Jul 19, 2002
      Until Joseph D made this statement I have never seen an argument that
      Sergius was only a simple monk. Even the Synod of Bishops in the
      1920's communicated with Sergius, who declined to answer questions
      about the diaspora because he was unaware of what was going on. That
      the Patriarch was a prisoner in the Monastery there is no doubt. But
      it would strike me as odd that something of this magnitude is not
      even documented in more than one source; all my sources on the
      history of the ROCA indicate that Sergius was considered a Bishop
      until 1927, when after ten months of imprisonment and torture, he
      capitulated to the Communists.- JS

    • Show all 27 messages in this topic