5946Re: Interview with Vl. Mark

  • vkozyreff
    Jun 20, 2002
      Dear Elisabeth,

      Regarding the temptation to prefer one's brothers and sisters to God,
      here is what Christ told us:

      "Anyone who loves his father or mother more than me is not worthy of
      me; anyone who loves his son or daughter more than me is not worthy
      of me; (Matthew 10:36-38).

      There can be no choice between loving God and loving one's neighbour,
      since no love to God can exist without love to the neighbour.

      There is a constant confusion between accusing the neighbour of
      committing a sin, which is not what we should do, and recognising
      that his action is bad, which is what we should do. If you see me
      commiting a crime, you must proclaim that you disapprove what I did
      and that what I committed is a crime. Doing this is not sinning by
      pride and is not claiming a reward for not committing the crime that
      I comitted.

      Stating that the Sergianists are wrong is not committing a sin of
      pride either. Will you accuse the Synod of committing a sin in
      denouncing their betrayal of God? This has nothing to do with the
      parable of the tax collector and the Pharisee.

      The Pharisees have crucified Christ, as have the Sergianists. We hold
      that separating oneself from God and His martyrs, as the Sergianists
      did, is wrong. We may not have communion with those who crucified the
      martyrs and still claim that it was right to do so. Refusing this
      communion is not being a Pharisee but being a humble servant of God
      and doing what he has commanded us to do.

      In God,

      Vladimir Kozyreff

      -- In orthodox-synod@y..., "boulia_1" <eledkovsky@h...> wrote:
      > Dear Vladimir and Irina,
      >
      > With all due respect, I'd prefer to err on the side of "dushevnost"
      > then!
      >
      > Christ gave us the story of the Publican and the Pharisee. The
      > Publican, by all standards, was WRONG, unworthy, lived his life not
      > according to the doctrines. Yet he sought God's mercy, in the face
      of
      > all his errors, and indeed, he received it.
      >
      > Now the Pharisee did everything right, by the book. And he expected
      > God's mercy as his reward, and was proud that he wasn't like the
      > Sergianists, oops I mean Publicans.
      >
      > As for references to the retired Metropolitan's acts against
      Vladyka
      > Mark, anyone who was around Synod in those days and saw Vladyka
      > regularly can attest to his temper and his penchant for tossing off
      > punishments on clergy (how many priests were 'forbidden to serve'
      > because they irritated his Eminence. He even tried -- uncanonically
      > and without success! -- to forbid Bishop Gabriel from serving once,
      > because Bishop Gabriel had had a tiff with the now infamous Ms.
      > Rozniansky.) With all due respect, by the late 90s, Met. Vitaly
      often
      > seemed to forget that he "ain't the Pope", with infallability or
      total
      > carte blanche. He should have retired gracefully long ago. Then we
      > would not have this mess today.
      >
      > Finally, when one mentions predictions of schism: just think: who
      are
      > the schismatics here? Poor Vladyka Vitaly at one point said he
      > was tired and just wanted to retire, but I guess he somehow didn't
      > deserve a retirement of 'blazhenstvo' because now he's being used
      > give some tenuous credibility to a group of... yup, SCHISMATICS. If
      > they truly loved and respected him, they would let the man live out
      > his last years in peace. And I am sure that if Vladyka were in his
      > right and once sharp-mind, he'd have a few punishments to scatter
      > around now...
      >

      > I will be unable to continue this debate in coming days. I do
      > sincerely wish everyone a blessed Feast of the Trinity.
      >
      > In Christ's love,
      > Elizabeth
      >
      > --- In orthodox-synod@y..., "vladimir kozyreff"
      > <vladimir.kozyreff@s...> wrote:
      > > Dear Elisabeth,
      > >
      > > I am afraid that you constantly make the same error: your
      compassion
      > > people whom we like (the believers in Russia or in Serbia in this
      > case),
      > > makes you turn a
      > > blind eye to what threatens them most: heresy. You think that you
      > are right,
      > > because
      > > you perceive your attitude as a sign of love and humility (the
      beam
      > and the
      > > splinter).
      > > However, you erroneously put your "dushevnost'" (human
      compassion)
      > before
      > > your "dukhovnost'"
      > > (spirituality, that is the Holy Spirit in us).
      > > For an orthodox, nothing can be thought of outside the
      > > limits imposed by the "dukhovnost'", that is nothing can happen
      > outside the
      > > limits of the
      > > Truth. Everything is second to that. Loving God imposes absolute
      > respect for
      > > His truth, that is excludes totally any concession about his
      Truth.
> [...]
      > since
      > > the NATO aggression, we constantly pray for Serbia, although we
      know
      > that
      > > the Serbian Church is a member of the WCC.
      > > 2. For that very reason, we care for them and we want to help
      > them to
      > > overcome the heresy, which is the most terrible aggression they
      > > are enduring. It is not a shortcoming of theirs, for which we
      must
      > show
      > > understanding,
      > > nor is it a sin that we must not denounce, being sinners
      ourselves.
      > > This heresy is not them, it is foreign to them, it is a poison
      from
      > the
      > > devil
      > > that kills them. Attacking the heresy is not attacking them but
      > saving them.
      > > 3. Identifying the heresy of the MP and of the Serbian Church is
      > not an
      > > aggression against the believers that are in error. On the
      contrary,
      > in
      > > denouncing the heresies of Sergianism and ecumenism, our Church
      is
      > like a
      > > physician who makes the diagnosis of an illness that must be
      cured
      > if those
      > > beloved Russians and Serbs are to be saved.
      > > 4. Our faith in our Church, who has identified and denounced the
      > heresy
      > > in the MP and the Serbian Church, is not an expression of pride
      but
      > one of
      > > humility and obedience to God. We have no doubt whatsoever that
      our
      > Church
      > > is right
      > > and that the heretics are wrong. We are not tolerant to heresy,
      and
      > we
      > > believe that there is only one Truth: the truth that has been
      taught
      > by our
      > > Church.
      > > 5. If we fall into heresy (God forbid), we expect that we will
      be
      > helped out
      > > too.
      > > If I have a beam in my eye, I pray God that my brothers and
      sisters
      > > in the faith help me getting rid of it. Being concerned about the
      > heresy
      > > in which our brothers have fallen is obeying God and being better
      > > Christians than not caring about it. Anyway, we may not have
      > communion with
      > > heretics, as it makes us heretics and separates us from God, who
      is
      > the
      > > person we love most, more than any human.

      SF
      > > cathedral several years back.
      > >
      > > Let us not forget, as he then noted from the Ambo, the important
      and
      > > salvationary role the Serb church played in protecting their
      > Orthodox
      > > brethren fleeing the red terror. Indeed, many of our most esteemed
      > > hierarchs were educated in Belgrade (INCLUDING St. John of
      > > Shanghai/S.F.).
      > >
      > > To make a gross generalization, Serbs may not all be the most
      pious
      > of
      > > people, but, again, they are our Orthodox brethren and among the
      > > closest of all, historically, to ROCOR. I cannot understand this
      > > desire to be so isolationist, or this hunger to find fault.
      > >
      > > "And why beholdest thou the splinter that is in thy brother's
      eye,
      > but
      > > perceivest not the beam that is in thine own eye?... Thou
      hypocrite,
      > > cast out first the beam out of thine own eye, and then shalt thou
      > see
      > > clearly to pull out the splinter that is in thy brother's eye."
      > >
      > > In Christ's love,
      > > Elizabeth
      > >
      > > --- In orthodox-synod@y..., "vladimir kozyreff"
      > > <vladimir.kozyreff@s...> wrote:
      > > > I am glad to see that all those who speak about Vl Mark
      describe a
      > > very
      > > > knowledgeable and respected person.
      > > >
      > > > I do not have the honour of knowing him, but I insist that he
      > looks
      > > > atypical. Below is one more apparent contradiction about his
      > > position.
      > > >
      > > > In the "Bulletin" of the German Diocese of Russian Orthodox
      Church
      > > Abroad of
      > > > February, 2001, an article entitled " Visit to Serbia "
      describes
      > > four-day
      > > > visit of Serbia by Vl Mark, from February, 4/17 till February,
      > 8/21.
      > > The
      > > > report tells about his visiting a few monasteries in which he
      > > co-celebrated
      > > > with Serbian priests.
      > > >
      > > > The Serbian orthodox church is a member of the World Council of
      > > Churches.
      > > > The ecumenical movement was anathematised by our church in1983.
      > How
      > > can we
      > > > reconcliate the anathema of our Church with Vl Mark's communion
      > with
      > > the
      > > > Serbian Church? Again, I cannot understand Vl Mark's position
      > > relative to
      > > > our Church's.
      > > >
      > > > Do we not expect bishops to act, think and teach following the
      > line
      > > of the
      > > > Church? Is this co-celebration not a clear disobedience to the
      > > Church,
      > > > committed in difficult times by a bishop that incidently teaches
      > > obedience
      > > > to his flock? Does this not add to the confusion of an already
      > > confuse time?
      > > > Is he anathema for communed with an anatematised movement? Or
      not?
      > > If not,
      > > > why? Is this a acceptable question to put?
      > > >
      > > > Please explain this to me. I am puzzled. In the meantime, 12
      > priests
      > > from
      > > > Western Europe were suspended for "disobeying", without having
      > been
      > > heard by
      > > > the Synod and without any explanation to the believers, except
      > that
      > > they did
      > > > not obey.
      > > >
      > > > In Christ,