5936RE: [orthodox-synod] Communion with the Serbian Church

  • vladimir kozyreff
    Jun 19, 2002
      Regarding ecumenism and joint prayers with heretics

      Canon XLV of the Holy Apostles

      "Let any Bishop, or Presbyter, or deacon that merely joins in prayer with
      heretics be suspended, but if he had permitted them to perform any service
      as Clergymen, let him be deposed."

      Canon LXV Of the Holy Apostles:

      "If any clergymen, or laymen, enter a synagogue of Jews, or of heretics, to
      pray, let him be both deposed and excommunicated."

      Canon IX of Laodicia (Also approved by the Ecumenical Synods)

      "Concerning the fact that those belonging to the Church must not be allowed
      to go visiting the cemeteries or the so called martyria of any heretics, for
      the purpose of prayer or of cure, but, on the contrary, those who do so, if
      they be among the faithful, shall be excluded from communion for a time
      until they repent and confess their having made a mistake, when they may be
      readmitted to communion."

      Canon XXXIII of Laodicia

      "One must not join in prayer with heretics or schismatics."

      In God,

      Vladimir Kozyreff