5928RE: [orthodox-synod] Re: Interview with Vl. Mark

  • vladimir kozyreff
    Jun 18, 2002
      Dear Elisabeth,

      I am afraid that you constantly make the same error: your compassion to
      people whom we like (the believers in Russia or in Serbia in this case),
      makes you turn a
      blind eye to what threatens them most: heresy. You think that you are right,
      because
      you perceive your attitude as a sign of love and humility (the beam and the
      splinter).
      However, you erroneously put your "dushevnost'" (human compassion) before
      your "dukhovnost'"
      (spirituality, that is the Holy Spirit in us).
      For an orthodox, nothing can be thought of outside the
      limits imposed by the "dukhovnost'", that is nothing can happen outside the
      limits of the
      Truth. Everything is second to that. Loving God imposes absolute respect for
      His truth, that is excludes totally any concession about his Truth. Failure
      respect this principle generates heresies like sergianism and ecumenism.
      As you know, the Faith is essential in orthodoxy. "In matters of
      faith, no concession can be made" (St John, Chrysostome). In Judaism, people
      do not have to believe anything, the Latino-catholic schism originated in an
      adulteration of the creed,
      which was pushed to extremes in protestantism. Orthodox believers are the
      last faithful.
      The purity of our faith is our most beloved heritage. Our most sacred duty
      is to preserve it.
      This infuriates Satan, who has recently increased his pressure on us.

      Your attitude relates to the "political correctness" of the world. The world
      is agnostic, believes that you have no right to claim that you hold the
      truth, or that there is only one truth. Universal tolerance is thus the
      natural conclusion of such a concept. If your neighbour believes differently
      from you, you must tolerate this and leave him alone, as a sign of respect.
      Orthodoxy is totally at odds with this thinking.

      As an orthodox believer, you should understand that the position of the
      Church is totally different. Our love and compassion for our brothers does
      not translate in leaving them alone in their error for fear of offending
      them, on the contrary:

      1. We love our Serbian and Russian brothers very much because they are
      particularly close to us, because we owe them so much and because they have
      endured so much physical, moral and spiritual damage. in our parish, since
      the NATO aggression, we constantly pray for Serbia, although we know that
      the Serbian Church is a member of the WCC.
      2. For that very reason, we care for them and we want to help them to
      overcome the heresy, which is the most terrible aggression they
      are enduring. It is not a shortcoming of theirs, for which we must show
      understanding,
      nor is it a sin that we must not denounce, being sinners ourselves.
      This heresy is not them, it is foreign to them, it is a poison from the
      devil
      that kills them. Attacking the heresy is not attacking them but saving them.
      3. Identifying the heresy of the MP and of the Serbian Church is not an
      aggression against the believers that are in error. On the contrary, in
      denouncing the heresies of Sergianism and ecumenism, our Church is like a
      physician who makes the diagnosis of an illness that must be cured if those
      beloved Russians and Serbs are to be saved.
      4. Our faith in our Church, who has identified and denounced the heresy
      in the MP and the Serbian Church, is not an expression of pride but one of
      humility and obedience to God. We have no doubt whatsoever that our Church
      is right
      and that the heretics are wrong. We are not tolerant to heresy, and we
      believe that there is only one Truth: the truth that has been taught by our
      Church.
      5. If we fall into heresy (God forbid), we expect that we will be helped out
      too.
      If I have a beam in my eye, I pray God that my brothers and sisters
      in the faith help me getting rid of it. Being concerned about the heresy
      in which our brothers have fallen is obeying God and being better
      Christians than not caring about it. Anyway, we may not have communion with
      heretics, as it makes us heretics and separates us from God, who is the
      person we love most, more than any human.

      In Christ's love,
      Vladimir Kozyreff