5892Re: An Interview with Archbishop Mark

  • boulia_1
    Jun 12, 2002
      The most highly esteemed and beloved O. Stefan was probably pulling an
      all-nighter baking prosfora when he posted this.

      I have deepest respect for the erudite, intelligent, and deeply
      faithful Vladyka Mark (now 'my' Bishop as I live in Germany)... but
      if I may respectfully point out to my dearest O. Stefan that what
      he says are off base comments are really just questions that arise
      from the interview and biographical sketch of Abp. Mark that's been
      zipping around cyberspace the last few days.

      In that piece, it IS mentioned that he was born in Chemnitz (part of
      the DDR East Germany) but educated in Heidelberg (West Germany) -- the
      missing link was how he got from east to west, which, by the time
      Michael Arndt was old enough to be a university student, wasn't easy,
      what, with the infamous wall and other border tightenings that went on
      in the early 60s. ...

      It also says that he had both tried to enter Mt. Athos and had applied
      to Holy Trinity/St. Sergius Lavra seminary, but after a long wait, was
      rejected.

      I think the questions are honest; I don't think they necessarily must
      be seen as an attack on Vladyka Mark, though it may belie a primitive
      (fundamentalist) attitude (forgive my judging words!) about how
      attention to jurisdictional lines constitutes constitutes loyalty to
      the True Church.

      I personally think ROCOR is blessed to have such a well-educated
      leader, having seen much of the world beyond the familiar interior
      walls of his own house.

      Respectfully,
      Elizabeth

      --- In orthodox-synod@y..., "stefanvpavlenko" <StefanVPavlenko@n...>
      wrote:
      > All your comments about Archbishop Mark are off base, for one thing
      he
      > did not study in Holy Trinity Saint Sergious in Moscow!, and all the
      > rest is off also!
      > Archpriest Stefan Pavlenko
      >

      > --- In orthodox-synod@y..., "vkozyreff" <vladimir.kozyreff@s...>
      wrote:
      > > This refers to:
      > >
      > > An Interview with Archbishop Mark by Mark Smirov.
      > >
      > > Regarding this interview, here are a few things which are not
      clear
      > > to me:
      > >
      > > Why, as Vl Mark converted to orthodoxy in our Church, did he apply
      > > become a monk in Mt Athos? Why did he apply to follow courses of
      > > theology in The Trinity St Sergius monastery, instead of studying
      in
      > > the Jordanville Trinity Monastery? Why did he not refer to his
      bishop
      > > for this matter? If he did, why would his bishop have send him
      there?

      > > Was Vl Mark not a mmber of the NTS movement? Why does he not
      allude
      > > to this in the interview?
      > >
      > > Being a citizen of Eastern Germany in 1969, how come he became a
      > > student in Heidelberg? In those days, East German students in
      general
      > > could not so easily get the blessing of the Stasi to study
      theology
      > > in Heidelberg.
      > >
      > > I am puzzled. Can anybody help me?
      > >
      > > In Christ,