57[orthodox-synod] Re: Die Musik

  • Rev. John R. Shaw
    Jun 11, 1999
      Be that as it may, it is a matter of history that in 1840 or so, when
      L'vov's music was first sung in the Moscow Uspensky cathedral (cathedral
      of the Dormition, in the Kremlin), the worshippers, who had been
      accustomed to going there specially to hear Znamenny chant, were so
      offended that many walked out of the church.
      (On weekdays, the services in that cathedral continued to be in
      unison Znamenny chant until the Bolsheviks closed the Kremlin churches).
      You have named many famous composers, but remember that, had it
      not been for the older liturgical music of the Russian Church, they would
      have had nowhere to start from...