5644Re: The lowly ROCOR website - nothing to say

  • vkozyreff
    Feb 9, 2002
      The actions that patriarch Tikhon took or did not take after he
      pronounced his anathema do not change in any way the fact of the
      anathema, its appropriateness and the fact that Sergianism is both
      anathema and heretical.

      We are judging a proposal here, not a person. In doing so, we are
      defending Christ's Truth, which is the duty of any Christian. In
      condemning Sergianism, as the new martyrs did, we do not even condemn
      Met Sergius himself. He probably did commit a grave sin, but who am
      I, sinner to judge him? As I said before, maybe God has forgiven him
      already. It nevertheless remains true that Sergianism is sin and
      heretical. A heresy is a heresy by nature, not by authorship.

      We should never forget the duty that Christ has given us to exert our
      judgement ("You will recognise them by their fruits"). The principle
      that we will be judged as we have judged has nothing to do with this.
      If I should be heretical, I hope my orthodox brothers will let me
      know. I would be grateful if they helped me out of my error.

      This being said, the opinion that I have about reunion with the MP is
      mine precisely because I think it is that of the Church.

      I do not agree with the proposal: "this is for our bishops to decide
      and not you and other people with their various personal opinions
      which do not reflect the Church" for the following reasons:

      1. I never said that I would decide anything about this matter.
      2. I may however have an opinion about this and I may discuss it
      with a bishop and with you. The bishop might be interested in hearing
      what I have to say, either to take it into account or to correct me.
      Remember, bishops are not infallible and laymen are members of the
      Church. It would be abnormal that bishops would take decisions that
      would be contrary to the opinion of their flock who, by definition,
      express the opinion of the Church too.
      3. My opinions about the Church always reflect those of the
      Church. I adopt as opinion for myself what I perceive as being the
      opinion of the Church. My research consists in finding out what the
      opinion of the Church is, to adopt it for myself. Discussions come
      about when the opinion of the Church is unclear. This happens. The
      voice of the laymen may be a signal for the Church that She should be
      clearer.
      What happens also, as you know, is that different bishops express
      different opinions about a given subject. Synods have erred in the
      past, as we all know. In conclusion, bishops and laymen should be in
      close unity and absence thereof is always a cause for concern, not a
      fact to be ignored.

      In Christ,

      VK

      In God,