5409Re: [orthodox-synod] Communique from the Chancery of the Synod 11/23

  • Fr. Alexander Lebedeff
    Nov 26, 2001
      Regarding:

      >I was at the Southern Missions Conference in November 10 and 11, 2001 where I
      >asked the question to Bishop Gabriel about why we couldn't serve a moleben
      >for Metropolitan Vitaly.

      So, what was his answer?

      >There are conference tapes you can purchase where
      >he states that molebens cannot be served for the Metropolitan. Also Father
      >John Whiteford was sitting next to him at the time and can attest to this.
      >If the tapes are edited by ROCOR, I have my own that I filmed.

      Well, I was not there, but it is absolutely beyond belief that Bishop
      Gabriel could have made such a statement.

      Goodness gracious!

      We are instructed by Christ to pray for **everyone**--including our enemies.

      Praying for the revered Metropolitan, who is now, due to his frailty, being
      manipulated by a mixed bag of defrocked, suspended, and renegade clergy,
      who are using him to accomplish their particular agenda, should be a
      requirement for all of us.

      It is most likely that you misunderstood what he said.

      I just spoke with Bishop Gabriel about this and he told me that what he was
      talking about at the Conference was that the original plan of the Sobor of
      Bishops was that Metropolitan Vitaly would be commemorated at the Divine
      Services together with Metropolitan Laurus, but when the document came
      signed by Metropolitan Vitaly that he was breaking away from all the other
      bishops and forming his own ecclesiastical structure--of course the bishops
      decided that it would be ludicrous to continue commemoration of
      Metropolitan Vitaly. However, the Sobor of Bishops specifically supported
      the commemoration of Metropolitan Vitaly at the Augmented Litany in the
      petition for Those Who are Ailing, which is what we do at our Cathedral,
      both at the Liturgy and at the Molieben which follows it.

      Bishop Gabriel said that yesterday, at the Molieben before the
      Myrrh-Streaming Icon of St. Nicholas at the Synod, petitions for "the
      ailing Metropolitan Vitaly" were read.

      With love in Christ,

      Prot. Alexander Lebedeff
    • Show all 8 messages in this topic