3883Re: [orthodox-synod] Re: Reply to Fr. Whiteford

  • Rev. John R. Shaw
    Feb 4, 2001
      On Sun, 4 Feb 2001, rsjmil wrote:

      > In the event that Abp Alypy may have 'sinned' by violating a
      > regulation

      There was, however, no such "regulation"--only a de-facto
      practice.

      > of ROCA fifteen years ago at least,
      > raking up someone's past, especially a Hierarch who already long ago
      > repented of a lapse of judgement,

      Nor did I get the impression that anyone thought this was a "lapse
      of judgment". It was simply an innocent event that the Panteleimonites
      were "making hay" out of.

      A couple of years before then-archimandrite Kallistos Ware was
      made a bishop, he was present at a service in the ROCOR convent in London
      when Vl. Vitaly visited--and Vl. Vitaly invited him to concelebrate. Fr.
      Kallistos had to decline because his own bishop had told him not to. (I
      heard this from Bishop Kallistos himself). For several years, Fr.
      Kallistos had been celebrating the Divine Liturgy in the convent.

      If this had happened during or after the Panteleimonites' schism,
      it could equally (or even more so) have been "made hay of".