      From: Fr. John R. Shaw
      To: orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Saturday, June 16, 2007 3:43 PM
      Subject: [orthodox-synod] Re: On Unity of the Orthodox Church of Christ

      --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "APY" <fr_anastasy@...> wrote:

      > 10-4, Fr. John, non-Orthodox - NOT Orthodox - of any persuasion.
      > Dear Vladika Nikon wrote something like "... we cannot impose on someone (a non-
      > Orthodox) in death that which they did not desire of their own free will in life..."

      JRS: I think I do remember translating those words, so many years ago.

      But do you disagree with something I said? I don't get your point.

      > There is, of course, a generic prayer for "civil authorities." I remember decades ago the
      > Greek Archdiocese actually would mention the full name of the President. There were
      > those who said it may have been because of a "party" change in the White House, but I
      > believe some clergy and laity protested the use of a personal name since the President
      > was not Orthodox.

      JRS: When I was a boy, I definitely heard them say: "Yper tou evsevous proedrou imon,
      JOHN F. KENNEDY", which sounded incongrous, with the mix of languages.

      I don't think they say that anymore ...

      "Evsevis/evsevous" means "devout": "For our devout President..."