19996Re: [orthodox-synod] Re: Wonderful words and colors

  • German Ciuba
    May 10, 2007
      I applaud subdeacon Martinian's essay and certainly agree with Fr
      Stefan's added comments about the rainbow.
      The proper use of language is a long-standing concern of mine. Language
      can easily and subtly be manipulated by those with a particular agenda.
      We are seeing this more and more now in this age of mass media and
      instantaneous communication. In a single generation there have been many
      words that have been misappropriated or rejected, often by the political
      correctness lobby.
      Though we must fight for the rainbow, I am afraid we have lost the word
      gay. Most unfortunate! I agree that we should be able to use it in its
      old sense. It's a perfectly good word, as long as people understand the
      sense it which it used. But if a parish advertised a "gay parish picnic"
      or something of that sort, I think it would attract the wrong kind of
      attention. It's sad that sick people have taken over a nice (there's an
      old-fashioned word from my childhood) word; it masks a reference to
      their psycho-spiritual sickness. On the other hand, for those of us
      brought up with the last of the Victorian culture of euphemisms, in
      which a certain short word beginning with "s" was never mentioned in
      polite conversation, even within the family circle, it is convenient to
      have a word that is not so ugly as the sin to which it refers, of which
      it is shameful even to speak, as St Paul says.
      It seems a similar, and even worse, situation has occurred in
      contemporary Russian. Slang is always changing, but at least few years
      ago the word "goluboy" (blue) was being used to refer to the same people
      who have taken over "gay." Imagine - the colour of the heavens, the
      colour of the Mother of God being used for stubborn sinners! At least we
      can substitute another word, such as "merry", for "gay", if we wish to
      avoid misunderstanding and smirking. Blue, however, is one of those
      basic words for which there is no substitute.
      (By the way, I recall an instance some years ago, in a parish comprised
      of mostly elderly Russian immigrants, where I was told that red covers
      were not desirable in church, because red is Soviet.)
      I will continue to speak English as I learned it over fifty years ago.
      It is true that language changes, but we can resist the change, refuse
      to go along with it, till no one understnads us any more, and then we
      can translate for them into another idiom. This is the value of "King
      James" English or Church Slavonic - words that are used in a fixed and
      anciently accepted way, not subject to the sway of newspaper columnists,
      rappers or university language police.
      A basic English word for which we _must _contend is the word "man." This
      is a word for which there is no substitute. Those who either
      deliberately or unthinkingly accept the PC rejection of its age-old
      meaning of God's rational and physical creature frequently resort to the
      circumlocution of "human being." That sounds like a scientific term, not
      an ordinary word. Must we soon refer to pets (another word that some
      wish to outlaw) as "feline beings" and "canine beings," or ride "equine
      beings," or drink milk from "bovine beings"? Or else they resort to
      "person" or "individual", which are proper and specific philosophical
      and legal terms, but when overused in conversation sound like speech
      from a Damon Runyon story, in which everyone is regularly referred to as
      a "citizen." The refusal to use the word "man" in its common meaning is
      part of an insidious plan to sexualize (sorry! there's that word) or
      genderize all of language and, ultimately, all of life. I used to make
      it a point to tell young people in church school classes that boys and
      girls, men and women are all men, part of mankind, and each of us is a
      man. ("Mankind was my business!" cried Marley's ghost.) Treatises could
      be, and have been, written on the subject of the alteration of language
      as a sign of the alteration of culture. (Perhaps someone could recommend
      a favourite book on the subject.) It is always good to see a man jump to
      the defence of his tongue.
      Hieromonk German Ciuba