19924Re: Wonderful words and colors

  • Martinian Prince
    May 4, 2007
      Chris is Risen!

      Father, bless!

      I beg you all not to consider things like gay and red "ruined by evil
      ideologies" to us who honor and seek the Truth. Father Stefan is
      right, there IS yet hope! We had them first; they are still ours to
      take back. I submit this view: continue to fearlessly use those things
      whose original meanings are innocent and good! We may be the last
      thing standing between a bit of good being snuffed out, usurped by the
      spirit of Antichrist.

      I humbly yet firmly say that we should use these things unnaffected,
      in innocence and goodwill, as those exhorted to live in the world and
      not be of it. Every good, noble, beautiful,righteous and holy thing
      will be taken by the enemy and twisted to suit his purposes, but only
      as the world understands them--we are not of this world. We did not
      let the Arians take the word 'Christ'. Rightly, it is the big ideas we
      should most fiercely defend. Why, however, should we give the world
      even the smallest word or concept? What has the world ever given us?

      Could this be a token way to "be as the little children" and in our
      own unnaffected use of the word, keep the innocence and simplicity of
      gaiety alive? After growing up in the SF Bay Area, and had friends, of
      a sort, who had fallen to the temptation implied, I know there is no
      mistake in the colors, words and symbols chosen to proclaim their
      accursed path. See how the demons have led these wretched dupes to
      wave a rainbow flag--the very symbol God gave to us as a promise to
      never again punish us for our sins by a destroying flood--as a mockery
      of His mercy.

      I don't say this as a rebellion to what you said Father, but I heard
      your comment as a call to rebellion. I say no! I will not let words be
      taken from me because those lost in darkness have forgotten their
      understanding. "God is with us,understand O ye nations, and submit
      yourselves!" We are the wards and keepers of those things that are
      good, noble, beautiful, righteous and holy. Consider them to be a
      prize to be won in the Unseen Warfare! I certainly feel this is so,
      but feelings can't be trusted, and I'm no authority.

      What do you think, Father Stefan? Do we do work for good by ignoring
      the implications that the world and the enemy have inflicted on
      traditional concepts and culture? When I read books by Charles Dickens
      or the Little House on the Prairie series by Laura Ingalls Wilder,
      there is so much cultural good that is now lost or reviled. This world
      is so in need of gentility and nobility (but not fake, we have enough
      of that)! I don't want to give up what we can still keep by orthopraxis.

      Wishing all a Paschaltide bright and gay!

      He is Risen indeed!

      Sdn Martinian

      --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "Archpriest Stefan Pavlenko"
      <StefanVPavlenko@...> wrote:

      > The color "red", crimson/ very bright red, for emigre Russians became
      > much like the word "gay" in the English Language. A wonderful word a
      > beautiful color ruined by evil ideologies that make the very sound
      > and sight distasteful and symbolizing an abomination. But in Russia
      > the color Red was always intertwined with stronger meanings, beauty
      > and joy, so they stayed more firmly in the body of the faithful...
      > maybe there is still hope for the word GAY!
      >
      > Archpriest Stefan Pavlenko
      >

      > --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, DDD <dimitradd@> wrote:
      > >
      > > On Wed, 02 May 2007 17:46:20 -0500, Anna Voellmecke wrote:
      > > At 01:14 AM 5/2/2007, you wrote:
      > > >Christ is Risen!
      > >
      > > Truly, He is Risen!
      > >
      > > >Can someone tell me what is with those horrible "blood-red"
      > candles at
      > > >Boris Yeltsin's funeral??
      > >
      > > ???? I didn't get to see the video, but I have seen red candles at
      > > ROCOR cathedral in Munich. I thought it was because it was
      > Pentecost.
      > > It's an interesting question.
      > >
      > > Anna V.
      > >
      > > I don't know about them, either, but I recently was doing an image
      > search for photos of Russian wedding crowns, and one of the photos
      > the search engine came up with showed the small table with the two
      > crowns on it and two RED candles! ??
      > >
      > > --Dimitra Dwelley

    • Show all 13 messages in this topic