19921Re: Red Candles???

  • Carol Surgant
    May 3, 2007
      --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, Stephen/Στέφανος
      <sbuatl@...> wrote:

      > Yes, father, but making "red" candles has to be a new
      >tradition, an innovation; and is probably against
      >the church canons because they most likely use an
      >"artificial dye" to make that color, whereas Orthodox
      >candles are supposed to be made of "pure beeswax" with
      >no artificial ingredients. Red paschal eggs and red
      >(crimson) vestments *are* traditional.

      XB!

      Many Russians would consider the bright red eggs (dyed with Greek
      ARTIFICIAL chemical dyes) to be untraditional. Traditional Russian
      Pascha eggs are dyed with natural vegetable dyes made from onion
      skins, etc. So, please don't try to twist differences in ethnic
      customs into canonical arguments. For every canon that you wish to
      hurl against the Russians, I could find another to hurl against the
      Greeks (both old and new calendar.) In the end, we won't have
      accomplished much except to have behaved in an exceedingly un-
      Christian manner. I prefer to leave judgements about what "is
      probably against the church canons" to my bishop.

      In Christ,
      Carol Surgant
    • Show all 13 messages in this topic